Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,139

1 members and 3,138 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: What should I do???

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • order some heat tape/cable and just wait til it arrives

1 20.00%
  • get a rheostat and risk it with a regular heat pad or heat rock

1 20.00%
  • get a basking lamp with a good spot bulb; that should be okay for a Dums boa

1 20.00%
  • just toss this cage, and buy a new one you can heat better

2 40.00%
    Thanks

Old cage...what to do?

So I have this old snake cage I got ages ago. Its wooden and has that formica finish on it.

I used to have this thing called a 'heat block' I think was made by TetraTerrafauna (if that brand is still around). This thing was a black, plastic rectangular panel that went inside the cage like a hot rock, but it never got too hot. So given the wooden nature of the cage, it was the perfect thing to heat it up for a snake. But alas, this past summer, it finally died.

Now I find myself needing this cage again. I really would like to move my Dumerils boa out of my BP cage, because I think Jasper is refusing to eat because of his new roommate (he even refused a hamster 2 days ago!). My friend has suggested using that heat cable stuff. I was kinda excited because I knew I had seen it at my LPS.

Come to find out, neither of my LPSs has heat cable. Don't it figure; its one of those products that will sit on the shelf for months, but as soon as I need it, they're all out!

So....I have a few options, and I just can't make up my mind what to do since I was really hoping to move the boa in his own cage this week. The first option is probably the most ideal, while the latter two would be the quickest.

What is everyone's thoughts?

EDIT: I know, I know...mixing species is bad. Shame on me; keep your hate PMs to yourselves.

EDIT: I know this isn't necessarily regarding ball pythons either, but I figured it get more coverage here.
    ---------
    Art Portfolio: http://www.artREXdesigns.com
    House Snake Site: http://www.shiningsnakes.com

Thanks

Re: Old cage...what to do?

I'm not hating or anything but why would you pick up a snake you dont have a home set up for? Thats not even rescuing if that was your intention.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

I've kept my ball python togther with other snakes before with no issues, and these guys have been together since Jan. Their care requirements are similar enough, both molt just fine, plenty of hides are in the current cage, etc etc etc. This is the first time an issue has arisen, so while I was planning all along to move the Dums to his own cage eventually, I've decided to do it now.

Thanks for your concern. Dually noted. Back to the issue at hand please.
    ---------
    Art Portfolio: http://www.artREXdesigns.com
    House Snake Site: http://www.shiningsnakes.com

Thanks

Well I can't give you any concrete advice as I have never owned a tank similar to the one you have there, and anything that resembles a heat rock I would never suggest. You could cut the bottom out and replace it with plastic or glass to allow heat transfer, but I really don't know how else to heat something like that.

And on another note, if you are practicing something generally frowned upon such as keeping multiple snakes and you mention that in your post, you should expect people to point out the danger in that practice. If not to warm you, then to warn others that may not know it is something that should be avoided. You could have simply said "I have a new boa, should I try and use this enclosure or buy a new one."
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

look at this link under the cannibal section. this is why you should house two snakes togerther. especially different species.
    http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/News/News.htm

Thanks

Depending on your ambient temps you could go the CHE route. If that won't provide enough heat, I'd say toss it. No offense, but it looks pretty nasty anyway.

On another note, he already stated that he didn't want to hear your guys' husbandry concerns. Save your breath because he has probably heard it all before. No reason to ignore his question while posting your opinion on his housing practices.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Hypo Columbian Red Tail Boa

Thanks

I wouldn't house 2 snakes of the same type together let alone different types. I would buy a plastic tub or 2 at a BigLot or Dollar store instead. I would probably order heat cable and router or by another method recess a path on the bottom of the old cage for it. I wouldn't use flexwatt or a stick on uth on wood. While I waited for the heat cable to arrive I would use a cheap red 40 watt party bulb from Walmart in a short lamp outside the cage.
    Do not resuscitate