Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,415

4 members and 3,411 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Desert snow?

Thanks

Desert snow?

Any one use or have used Desert snow as a substrate?

I saw some pictures that ben renick posted with a substrate that is called diamond soft, which was later on in the thread said to be very expensive since you can really only get it by pallet, which is nuts.
    Well later on in the thread someone mentioned Desert snow, so I went to reptilesupply.com and they carry it. Does anyone know what the pro's and con's are of Desert snow substrate in their own experience?

Thanks

Re: Desert snow?

Ive seen it used, never used it myself, but the person that did use it, said that it sucks up alot of humidity becuase of its tissue paper like absobency. So I dont know kinda pricey and maybe not that benificial?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patthesnakeman View Post
    Ive seen it used, never used it myself, but the person that did use it, said that it sucks up alot of humidity becuase of its tissue paper like absobency. So I dont know kinda pricey and maybe not that benificial?
    Right now I'm using newspaper which is ugly but the price is right. And with the humidity I don't have any problem with since I've had a rack setup. I know it's pricey but I might get one bag of it just to see it in person and test it out with a snake.

Thanks Pat

Thanks

Pat may have a point with the humidity but then again I wouldn't know because I was always battling my humidity when I used this with my glass tank set up. What I can say is that the substrate is nice and soft and if I was a snake I would feel like I was in the lap of luxury. Aside from that the only other plus I see to this is that it was really easy to tell when the tank was dirty and made spot cleaning very easily. I also think heat transfered better from the UTH using this substrate as opposed to aspen.

Other than that I don't think the price tag was worth it which is why I switched to paper towels in the end.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmartin2347 View Post
    Any one use or have used Desert snow as a substrate?

I saw some pictures that ben renick posted with a substrate that is called diamond soft, which was later on in the thread said to be very expensive since you can really only get it by pallet, which is nuts.
    Well later on in the thread someone mentioned Desert snow, so I went to reptilesupply.com and they carry it. Does anyone know what the pro's and con's are of Desert snow substrate in their own experience?
    We use it on baby colubrids and in our deli cups for shipping/shows. It Sucks up a lot of moister, which is good during shipping if a snake urinates it doesn't stay wet, but have never used it as a substrate. The Bells use it, and seem to have good luck with it.

As for buying it, I see that you are in N.H, we get ours ( Diamond soft) from cold bloods out of Kingston Mass. It is $15 for a 20-25 lb bag, a lot cheaper than buying the name brand. If you go to the Manchester show in April he will have some big bags there for sale, and we normally have smaller quantities available too.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, Outback Reptiles
    josh@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262 Office
    703-789-1697 Cell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnjreptiles View Post
    We use it on baby colubrids and in our deli cups for shipping/shows. It Sucks up a lot of moister, which is good during shipping if a snake urinates it doesn't stay wet, but have never used it as a substrate. The Bells use it, and seem to have good luck with it.

As for buying it, I see that you are in N.H, we get ours ( Diamond soft) from cold bloods out of Kingston Mass. It is $15 for a 20-25 lb bag, a lot cheaper than buying the name brand. If you go to the Manchester show in April he will have some big bags there for sale, and we normally have smaller quantities available too.

Hope this helps.
    Sweet, I'm actually going to the show in Manchester. I'll have to pick up a bag there and test it out. And I'll have to make sure I swing by and introduce myself to you and your crew.