Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,864

0 members and 2,864 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question This is what I have, what else do I need?

First off, let me start by saying I am a noob when it comes to snakes, with that said, I would prefer to get advice before the flames. Anyhow, this tank setup would be for a baby ball python, who would be moved to another tank when larger (I allready read the sticky that max snake size in tank= length+width of tank, and plan to upgrade accordingly). This is what I have, so please work with me on it (some stuff I may not need, as some of it was given to me for free), and tell me what I also need.

10 gallon glass tank w/ screen top
    w/ 10-20 gallon under tank heater by zoo-med allready on it (sits on grips which sits on a plastic holder off ground)
    Reptibark- pure fir bar
    Expandable substrate that you mix with the fir bark (cant remember type, coconut?) to help with humidity
    nondigital humidity gauge mounted on right hand corner
    sticky unopened thermometer
    10 inch esskay dome adjustable up to 200 watts w/dimmer function
    100 watt neodymium daylight bulb
    4 inch 200? watt unadjustable (has same 250v 660 watt ceramic part) w/blacklight/bulb in it, I believe 60 watts, but bulb looks to be from a hardware store, will this still work?
    plastic fork split branch
    Water dish.
    Fake log, although I am not sure what to do with this, as I read you need two identicle hides.

With all this said, what else do I need, and how best would you go about setting this up (to get the 82-84 degree cold and 92-94 warm spot). Also, any cost that can be successfully cutout (without sacrifficing the snakes health of course) would be appreciated.
    Also, I understand pictures would help, but currently I do not have access to a camera, so please work with me on this.

Finally, and I thank you for sticking with me so far, would a 29 gallon tank work as an upgrade (I allready have it) or would I be better off purchasing a 20L so that I would not lose as much heat bc of the less height. Also, the 29 gallon bottom is somewhat cracked, if that helps decide, but I planned on putting another sheet of glass or board or some other material (suggestions welcome) ontop of the whole bottom, so that the cracked glass would never come in contact w/the snake, but don't understand how I then would be able to mount an undertank heater by doing so.

Thank you very much to all who read and reply,
    Warm-blooded

Thanks

Re: This is what I have, what else do I need?

I'll go from end to start...easier.

Yes, you should go to a 20L after the 10. Lower in height and easier to maintain. Also, a broken tank is just a disaster waiting to happen someday, especially when you add heat.

As for your current 10 gallon, that's a great tank for a baby but you have a few changes to make.
    The pad is good, just make sure you get a thermostat for it ASAP if you don't have one already. Even the cheaper ZooMed ReptiTemp 500R ($30) is better than a dimmer.
    A 100 watt bulb is WAY too high for a 10gal! Lower that down to at most 50watts if you're going to use a lamp and make sure the lamp itself is more than 8" above the lid.
    You will want to get a digital thermometer, preferably an indoor/outdoor with probe, ASAP. Acurite are a great brand, found at WalMart and Lowes in the garden/outdoor sections for around $13. Those stick on ones are hugely unreliable.
    You will want to include two identical hides, one on each end of the tank. These can be as simple as two plastic flower pot saucers with an opening cut out.

Here's a pic of my 10gal for my rescued pastel BP for reference:

Hope that helps!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Like Argentra said above definitely get a thermostat. Those dimmers for me didnt work at all. I have a 20 and 10 gal. I got a Herpstat II for both of mine.

0.3 Normal, 1.1 100% Het Albino, 1.1 Yellowbelly, 1.1 Mojave
    1.0 50% Het Axanthic, 1.1 Hypo, 1.0 66% Het Clown, 0.1 Black Pastel
    0.1 Spider, 1.1 VPI Pastel, 1.0 Reduced Pattern, 1.0 Pinstripe

Thanks

I have a 20L tank for a young BP and I like it a lot. It is big enough to have everything you need inside, and not be too cramped.

I have a standard low wattage black light bulb for night viewing, and I love it.

If you have problems with humidity, which I anticipate with a screen top and a lamp, then I would recommend covering the screen with aluminum foil. Secure it with duct tape, and leave a hole about the size of your lamp for airflow/lighting/heat. This will raise ambient heat and also trap humidity.

That is the best advice I have gotten as far as husbandry goes.
    ==========
    Carpe Diem
    ==========