Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,625

0 members and 2,625 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Pine snakes, need info

I have seen a few pine snakes that I've liked. but not real familiar with them. Anyone out there willing to share their knowledge of them??

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Pine snakes, need info

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose View Post
    I have seen a few pine snakes that I've liked. but not real familiar with them. Anyone out there willing to share their knowledge of them??
    We have a black pine. We keep her a bit cooler than our pythons and boas - around 85 degrees on the warm end and in the neighborhood of 73 on the cool. Humidity is about 55 to 60% and so far she's thrown complete sheds.

In terms of feeding, we have not had any issues and would compare her to our indigo and womas in terms of eating anything put in front of her.

Pines grow quite large and are fairly active. An adult can reach anywhere from 6 to 7 feet - the minimum cage size for an adult would be 4x2 with larger being preferable.

Pines are big time huffers and puffers but we've yet to be struck. As soon as she's out of her enclosure, she calms right down.

Thanks

Thanks,
    I'm not buying yet but wanted to know more about them. I saw a gorgeous black pine snake and fell in love!! Very impressive!!

Thanks

As you read/research remember there isn't a hill of beans of difference (other then appearance) between pines, bulls and gophers. Honestly keeping a pit is no different then keeping a corn snake that grows a about 18-24 inches bigger then normal.

They are all about as easy to care for as any snake. Attitude is variable some are hissy but most don't actually bite. I have dealt with many pits that hiss, mock strike and are just in general little bad a$$ snakes, until you pick them up and then they are all cool, put them down and then the show starts again,

If I had to sum up Pituophis in general as pets in one word it would be "overlooked". Easy to care for, pretty, great eaters and cool personality. If you want one and have room for it go for it you won't regret it.
    Last edited by jjspirko; 03-18-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typos
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!