Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,713

1 members and 2,712 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASF footprint

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

ASF footprint

Many people say that the reason for not feeding ASF's is because they are a natural food for the ball python, and once a python is eating ASF's, they will not go back to normal rats.

I wonder tho how true this is. I have read on here from several different sources that they were able to switch from ASF's to rats, and some even regularly switch back and forth.

Even with snakes that wouldn't eat anything... and finally ate ASF's... I haven't heard of any that did not later switch to rats when the keeper stuck to their guns.

So, lets find out if this is a wives tale or not. Is there anyone on here that has been unable (within a reasonable amount of time, and reasonable amount of effort) to switch an ASF eater back to rats? If so, please share the details with us.

thanks.

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: ASF footprint

My personal experience is that I have ZERO issues feeing ASF, Rats or Mice to my balls. Most will readily eat whatever is placed in their tub and I routinely switch back and forth (based on what I have the current size of). I lost all my rats several months ago to a food issue and had to feed mice and ASF exclusively for about 5 months to my entire collection. I have since switched all of them back to rats without issue. So I have been feeding ASF, rats and mice back and forth for over a year (and had switched snakes eating only ASF for almost 5 months back to rats without a problem)

However, like everything about BP there are exceptions...and some will imprint on one food item and eat nothing else - weather that be ASF, Rats, Mice, Gerbils, etc.

As an example, my breeder male Pastel goes off feed ever year for about 6 months and when he comes back on will ONLY take ASF for the first 2 months then he switches to eat anything ...strange but that is how he rolls.

From my experience it is a wives tale.

Hope this helps.
    Sean

Thanks

I usually feed mice to my little BP's and switch off with asf and mice for the larger BPs.
    I have found that I cannot keep up with the ASF's as they grow slower than a regular rat.
    Every once in awhile I spurge for gerbils, but they get pretty pricey.

Normally, if I have a problem feeder, the ASF or gerbils do the trick. I've never had a problem switching.

Thanks

I bought a snake that had been raised on only ASF rats, and there was no hesitation when I offered him a regular rat.

Thanks

I've never heard that they have a problem switching... it was more or less the availability of asf on a regular basis.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I've never heard that they have a problem switching... it was more or less the availability of asf on a regular basis.

Many have said in the past that they don't recomend ASF's because once a snake is on them, it could be very difficult to re-home them.... because the new keeper may not have access to asf's. Well from what I have heard so far, in that situation, switching them to normal rats should not be an issue.

I have done a lot of reading on ASF's. The number one reason people don't use / don't recomend using them is this. I think it is in fact, for the most part, a wives tale.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Well, it is not a wives tale that BP's are finicky eaters and many times will not just switch back and forth from mice to rats... I have heard many success stories where people get a non-eating snake to begin eating on ASF, and later switch to regular rats.

Like everything with snakes, it takes time and patience. Some BP's will refuse till they die to eat rats... it's up to the keeper to be accepting and patient in those cases. Because sometimes, BP's just will not switch. Fortunately, I have never had to deal with that.

I have heard that it is easier to switch young BP's as opposed to older ones, and I also believe any seller should make sure that his snakes will take what ever is readily available before he sells the snake. ASF are still not that available, even here where I know there are breeders.

But again, I don't think your going to prove or disprove the rumor until ASF are readily available for everyone.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have use bedding from my ASF to scent rat to get two of my stubborn feeders to just start slamming rats. and had no problem getting slowly switched back to none scented rats.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    But again, I don't think your going to prove or disprove the rumor until ASF are readily available for everyone.
    Why not? either people have been unable to change from asf's, or not... So far, 100% of the respondents have been able to change from ASF's to rats with little effort.

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Lol, this isn't a drop in the bucket on the full spectrum of the hobby. That's all I meant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast