Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

2 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Anyone have a friend who is terrified of snakes?

I have this friend who is terrified... and I mean TERRIFIED of snakes. If he even sees one he litteraklly screams and run as far away from it as he can. Yes he's straight.

I asked him why and he says it's the way they move that freaks him out so much. I asked and he told me he's never had a bad encounter with a snake before, ever, so I can;t figure out WHY he;s afraid of them!

It's litterally an irrational fear. He's got no reason to be afraid.
    All my other friends, girls and guys, either like or don;t mind my snakes. Most of them ask to hold my Cali King and lemme tell you, my Cali King loves to be held!

It's strange! I guess maybe because I don't have any sort of phobia. No animal scares me or even makes me flinch. I don't really get why someone could be afraid of something like a snake.

You're more likely to get bitten or scratched by your dog or cat when they're playing with you!

Anyone else know someone like this?
    0.1 Ball Python - Guinness
    1.0 Spider Ball Python - Gizmo

Thanks

Re: Anyone have a friend who is terrified of snakes?

*I'm* like that, but not with snakes. I adore snakes, but lizards make me scream and run like a little girl. For me it is also about the way they move. They have this creepy wiggly run thing they do that weirds me out. It's an irrational fear and I have tried to get over it - I've touched several different kinds of lizards, even had an iguana set on my shoulder once. But I can only get over it momentarily. As soon as I'm away from them that fear comes right back again.

Thanks

I learned about these kind of fears in psychology, and you don't really have to have any bad experience that you remember, but something as simple as seeing a "scary" snake at a young age on TV can make you terrified for life. Its classical conditioning. I am scared to death of spiders....yet I know they cannot hurt me (the ones around here can't) and they are 1 thousand times smaller than me but...ewwww...haha
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have several friends that are like that. One so bad he won't even come on the front porch. I believe that our society and culture helps to ingrain this irrational fear of snakes into our minds.

I blame part of it on the choice of scholars to interpret the Hebrew word "nachash" to mean snake/serpent in the Bible when it more fittingly should have been translated sorcerer or wonder maker. Even for those who aren't Christians the whole story of the fall of man due to the deception of the "serpent" sticks with most people at some level.

Thanks

My brother is actually terrified of snakes. When my stepfather and I wanted to get snakes when I was in elementary school, my mom and brother threatened to move out into our camper if we brought a snake into the house. Well of course they didn't but they wouldn't go near the snakes. My mother would sometimes hold the ball python but my brother never would. When I got my first snake, Zim in '06, I tried to show it to him and he locked himself in the room and wouldn't come out until I left the house. It was just a baby corn snake. Jeesh. Thankfully most of my friends are ok with the snakes and actually like seeing them, but not always hold them. I have an irrational fear of heights and deep water but as far as animals, I am very uncomfortable around big dogs ( I was bitten by a rottwieler) but afraid of animals, no.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

I have one friend that cannot come into my space knowing there are snakes in my apt. She is doing better though as she can enter my hallway now... she was that scared initially.

But I think most people that are scared, usually can preface it with "I have an irrational fear of..." they know there is no reason, but it is so deeply set that they cannot control it.

But on the good side, I have had a few friends that have asked if they could come over and look at... eventually get near the cages... in time see one... and even touch it.

Have had 4 experiences like that, and each time they have ended up being very positive, and once people break through that, they just love them.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

I'm affraid of deep water and heights too. They are weird fears. My uncle Jackie is terrified of snakes. We always play jokes on him like throwing a rubber snake on his shoulder. Haha. I guess it doesn't help his fear anyway but you can't help getting even with an Uncle ^_^.

-Austin

Thanks

I do have friends that were terrified of snakes...

What kills me is I want to share my passion with others and those people happen to be my friends and family. One person that really sticks out is Jackie she would look at them at an "across the room" distance. Now (This is over the period of me knowing her) she will actually hold them! I am so proud

Now all of my friends will at least share a room with them...stay in the room while they are out and some will even interact.

In the beginning many had this horrible stereotypical perception about them. I am just glad to help and dismiss this.

Thanks

I can definitely understand peoples fear of snakes, my Mom was reasonably afraid of them until she held my ball, that changed everything. She would still scream if she saw a wild rodent in the house and is uneasy about me wishing to breed rats (gotta work her into allowing me) which is also understandable as she has had previous bad experiences with large rodents. I am petrified of centipedes, arachs, even harmless little crickets, basically any bug drives me NUTS, I plan to get over it in the future but I don't think I'll ever be at a state where I am actually comfortable with them. You have to respect a persons fear because everybody is afraid of something, without fear what would the world be?
    Last edited by Perry; 03-14-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typooos
    0.0.1 Ball Python
    1.1 Vietnamese Blue Beauty Rat Snakes
    0.0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu

Thanks

haha my best friend who looks kind of like a tough guy, one those tight pants'ed, long hair, guns n' roses type of guy, and back when we were in high school everyone just thought he was one of those pissed off, tough guys. anyways, back a few years back, my friend had baby corn snakes and i was holding one, and he would NOT hold it and i asked him why not, and he responded with "dude. they can sense fear, i don't like that." so i finally get him to hold it.. and it makes the slightest movement, he drops the snake on the bed, kind of squeals and runs to the opposite side of the room and i couldn't stop laughing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast