Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

2 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New BP, with an attitude problem!

Ok, so I bought a few new BPs about a month ago and one of them is being very difficult to say the least. She wont eat live or frozen, but strikes at ANYTHING that moves (even me through the glass when I walk past). If I put in a live rat/mouse she repeatedly strikes at it until it is cowering in the corner and covered in blood, but she never attempts to hold onto it or coil around it. The tank is set up like all my other tanks so I dont think that is the issue. I was told she was originally a CBB holdback from a breeder that decided to cut back on normals, but her behavior makes me think she might be an import. Very nice colors and blushing along the back though so the holdback story may have some truth. she wont sit still on my scale long enough to get an accurate reading, but its hovering around the 550g range. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to cover as many possible questions as possible to save time Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks

Re: New BP, with an attitude problem!

Just hold it for a while to get him used to being held. Usually when they know you after a while the striking will go down. Also do you just drop the pk/ft in?

Thanks

Sounds like she has a "comfort" problem....

you never mentioned temps or humidity...

try reading the care sheets on this site, they help a LOT

If her temps and humidity are correct, make sure she is housed ALONE and both her hides are small enough to touch her on all sides, making her feel secure...

then "do not disturb"....for about a week or so.....

offer the prey just at the opening of the hide.....

once she's comfy, she will strike to kill and eat....

Good Luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
    Just hold it for a while to get him used to being held. Usually when they know you after a while the striking will go down. Also do you just drop the pk/ft in?
    I tried to hold her but I dont like to bleed much and Its literally strike after strike. I've never seen a BP act that way.
    Check out www.killerpets.com and let me know what you think! Always looking for ways to improve the site

Thanks

Maybe a pair of gloves? I dunno My little retic was a chainsaw the first week but he calmed down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhBalls View Post
    Sounds like she has a "comfort" problem....

you never mentioned temps or humidity...

try reading the care sheets on this site, they help a LOT

If her temps and humidity are correct, make sure she is housed ALONE and both her hides are small enough to touch her on all sides, making her feel secure...

then "do not disturb"....for about a week or so.....

offer the prey just at the opening of the hide.....

once she's comfy, she will strike to kill and eat....

Good Luck!
    Temps are ~83-89 and I am having a hard time keeping the humidity any higher than 40% due to the furnace constantly running, but switching from newspapers to paper towels seemed to help the humidity hold a little longer. She is alone, 10G tank with hides made from recycled butter tubs. She fits inside, but its definately a tight fit. I thought I was going to have to make a bigger hide for her, but decided to try it anyway. I initially left her alone for a week before trying to feed her, and had no luck. then I waited another week and a half before trying again. I tried a third time about a week later and still no luck. It shows interest but will not do anything to keep the prey once it strikes. Same results with F/T that I dangle with tongs... My spider ball takes mice right from the tongs as soon as I reach in with one. I wish they were all that easy...
    Check out www.killerpets.com and let me know what you think! Always looking for ways to improve the site

Thanks

Maybe a pair of gloves? I dunno My little retic was a chainsaw the first week but he calmed down.
    Lol maybe as a last resort, which may be soon. She is starting to look thin near the tail end. I dont know when the last time she ate was, but she wasnt the most healthy looking snake when I got her. I forgot to mention that mites showed up about a week after I got her which I noticed when I first tried to feed her. I treated her and she hasnt had any since. That could be why she didnt eat fir the first couple weeks but I think its been over a month now...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

She's stressed and she's displaying all the behavior to tell you so. Just because your set-ups have worked fine for the others, doesn't mean that SHE'S comfortable in it.

I'd recommend two options for you.

1) change her to a 15 quart tub set-up
    2) fill her current enclosure with loosely crumpled newspaper, all the way to the brim. This will give her an additional feeling of security, and she'll feel more secure with additional cover, and the sense of something always touching her. Don't hold her - just let her be. After a week, drop in a live hopper mouse and walk away. Come back and check after 1/2 an hour - the mouse will most likely be gone.

Then start weaning her off the paper by removing a piece of paper every few days.

Ugly - but your priority is to get her settled and feeding for you.

Between the two options, I'd choose the tub - heat and humidity are perfect, and it's smaller and more closely resembling a burrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Handling a clearly stressed animal is not going to help the animal but cause even more stress - it's a baby - and you're a predator. He needs to get it settled in its enclosure and feeding before working on handling.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

skueppers (01-08-2017)

Thanks

Robin's (rabernet's) advice is perfect. Switching to a 15qt tub will not cost you much at all, and is totaly worth it to get your cranky bp settled and eating.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast