Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,885

0 members and 1,885 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Newb looking for handling/feeding advice

First I would just like to say that I am a new member and have already learned quite a bit from reading all of the "sticky posts" for the past several hours. So Thank You everyone

I have two questions:
    How often are you supposed to handle baby ball pythons? Specifically, after you first get it- before and after feeding- for how long each time- and what kind of harm we are talking about for overhandling. I have read many different opinions on this but this community seems to have experience so I would like a few more! It seems like the more you handle them, the more they will get used to it as long as they are continuing to feed?

Does it only work to rub f/t on mice or rats? What about gerbils, hamsters, ferrets, hedgehogs, etc. LOL- I know this may seem rediculous but some of the rodents I have access to and some I do not so in addition to making sure the environment is where it should be, I also want to know if I can assist the feeding process in other ways. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Newb looking for handling/feeding advice

First I would just like to say that I am a new member and have already learned quite a bit from reading all of the "sticky posts" for the past several hours. So Thank You everyone
    First of all welcome to the site I am glad you found us and liked all the sticky's.

I have two questions:
    I have two answers.

How often are you supposed to handle baby ball pythons?
    I try and handle baby's every couple of days for short periods of time from 5-20 minutes.

Specifically, after you first get it- before and after feeding- for how long each time-
    Right after getting them it is usually recommended that you give them about a week of no messing to settle in. Before a feed is fine but after should be avoided for two reasons: one some Balls stay in feed mode and may think your fingers are second helpings and two They feel really vulnerable after feeding and may on rare occasions regurge the meal and this is very stressful on your snake

and what kind of harm we are talking about for over handling. I have read many different opinions on this but this community seems to have experience so I would like a few more! It seems like the more you handle them, the more they will get used to it as long as they are continuing to feed?
    Every animal is different some Balls get quite use to being handled while others don't really take to it. You'll need to get to know your snake and see what it likes. Don't rush things you have a long time to get things right, take it slow and learn to read your snake and you will both be far happier.

Does it only work to rub f/t on mice or rats? What about gerbils, hamsters, ferrets, hedgehogs, etc. LOL- I know this may seem rediculous but some of the rodents I have access to and some I do not so in addition to making sure the environment is where it should be, I also want to know if I can assist the feeding process in other ways. Thanks a bunch everyone!
    Typically the scent of the F/T feeder is enough to get the animal to eat (if it is already eating F/T). So there is normally no reason to scent a F/T feeder. Remember Ball pythons are imprint feeders meaning they get their mind set on what is food and what isn't. So If you scent a rat with mouse scent and they get fixed to that you could run in to problems later if you can't scent anymore. Your snake may see a rat that doesn't smell like dinner. Keep in mind 95% of a Ball's feeding response is scent related so if it looks like a rat but smells like a mouse when you offer a rat that smells like a rat it might not think its food.

Keep up the research and never be scared to ask questions thats how we all learned
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Welcome to BPNet and congrats on owning a wonderful ball python!

With the young ones, really with any new BP, the focus is on settling them in, getting them on a good solid feeding schedule, making sure they are shedding, pooping, etc. Handling is last on my list and only comes after all the other things are attended to.

That's hard because like anybody, I want to handle a new snake but I know handling is more for me than for the snake. Kind of an "I want" rather than "the snake needs" situation.

Take it slow and get to know the little one and it's unique reactions to things. We have BP's here, big and little, that could care less what's going on around them when they are out for handling - they are just very confident animals. We have others that the smallest disturbance has them tucked immediately into a protective ball - they are just more shy animals. We tailor the handling experience to what each snake can deal with.

As far as the F/T prey, as long as it's properly warmed up it should be putting off a scent and heat signature that your snake, with it's highly evolved sensory organs, can easily pick up on. The only reason I know to try and do scent transfer between different prey items would be when switching over prey types (mouse to rat, etc.) Sometimes that works but it never did for me.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Great advice, I completely understand what you two are saying so thank you for clearing that up. Also, you hit the nail on the head when you said the handling was for me!...they amaze me I just wanna "hold 'em and pet 'em on the back of his head"

sorry just a little Mitch Hedburg for ya

Thanks

Not to go off topic, but I read your user name as Bait By Jenny instead of baby Jenny. Just so you know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Not to go off topic, but I read your user name as Bait By Jenny instead of baby Jenny. Just so you know.
    lol...was that a Freudian slip?

Thanks

I honestly thought it was a neat play on words for a bait shop. Then I reread it. LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I honestly thought it was a neat play on words for a bait shop. Then I reread it. LOL
    You would be HIGHLY overestimating my creativeness

Thanks

creativity*

I hope you still love me even though I correct you
    ==========
    Carpe Diem
    ==========

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sneakerpro View Post
    creativity*

I hope you still love me even though I correct you
    Shall I do some correcting on YOUR posts????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast