Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,232

2 members and 3,230 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Do you pre-scent your rooms for feeding

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 72.92%
  • No

9 18.75%
  • Doesn't matter

4 8.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How many of you pre scent when feeding

So how many of you actually pre-scent. I've heard from adam wyosaki's (hopefully I spelled that right) feeding video that pre-scenting is "critical" but I'm curious to know how many of you actually do it. I only have one ball python right now but am having a hard time getting it to eat. I don't want this to turn into a solve my feeding problem forum but because she is in a tub and I would only bring one rat into the room for pre-scenting I wonder if it would be all that effective. Anyways I'd like to know how many of you pre-scent? What has been your experience with it? And do you reccomend it for such a small "collection". Thanks.
    [It's okay to not know as long as you care enough to learn, thanks for this site B][/B]

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How many of you pre scent when feeding

If you only have one BP just place a critter keeper with the prey in it on the top of the enclosure.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I've never done it. I usually just dangle the mouse/rat on the other side of the enclosure and let the snake get the scent and crawl over to it...but that's just my animals. I rarely have a problem with them feeding right on schedule (lucky I suppose) but I would not hesitate to try it if any of them gave me difficulty.

Although come to think of it I'm usually thawing the feeders in the same room as the snakes, so I guess I'm kinda pre-scenting without thinking about it. Oh well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I really pre scent without thinking about it. I bring in a tub full of rats and within minutes heads come poping out of hides. i know my snakes so the aggressive eaters go first and the timid feeders go last so they experience more rodent scent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    I really pre scent without thinking about it. I bring in a tub full of rats and within minutes heads come poping out of hides. i know my snakes so the aggressive eaters go first and the timid feeders go last so they experience more rodent scent.
    That's awesome and make sense
    [It's okay to not know as long as you care enough to learn, thanks for this site B][/B]

Thanks

I consider pre-scenting a vital part of feeding live.

Thanks

I don't have to pre-scent because my rats are in the same room with my balls..all the time so it is always 'pre-scented'.

My corns aren't in that room so I do pre-scent for them by bringing their prey in the room in a tub with some rattie bedding in it and setting it on top of their enclosures for a few minutes.

Thanks

I have found that pre-scenting really helps with feeding response...especially in that rescued pastel BP. With the corns, it just seems to help them 'know' when feeding time is so they don't think a mouse is coming every time I open the tub.

I don't know if it's working well with my female ball or not...since she's on a strike right now. But with my pastel, he sticks his head out of the hide moments after I put the keeper on top of his tank. When I get around to feeding him, he's fully out and looking up at the keeper.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwedgley View Post
    So how many of you actually pre-scent. I've heard from adam wyosaki's (hopefully I spelled that right) feeding video that pre-scenting is "critical" but I'm curious to know how many of you actually do it. I only have one ball python right now but am having a hard time getting it to eat. I don't want this to turn into a solve my feeding problem forum but because she is in a tub and I would only bring one rat into the room for pre-scenting I wonder if it would be all that effective. Anyways I'd like to know how many of you pre-scent? What has been your experience with it? And do you reccomend it for such a small "collection". Thanks.
    I get my rats in a paper sack, a small one. I put my snake in a seperate tank and put the rat in a sack in there with him. I leave it in there until Vincent starts sniffing the bag. As soon as he does, I take the bag out, and drop the rat in.

So far it's worked everytime.
    1.0.0 Normal BP: Vincent Vega

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skoalbasher View Post
    I get my rats in a paper sack, a small one. I put my snake in a seperate tank and put the rat in a sack in there with him. I leave it in there until Vincent starts sniffing the bag. As soon as he does, I take the bag out, and drop the rat in.

So far it's worked everytime.
    good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast