Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 863

1 members and 862 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Prego rat has a tumor

I am really upset. I examined one of my pregger rats, and she has an obvious tomor on her side, about the size of a half of a peanut (you know, the peanuts with only one nut inside.) I don't know what to do. Should I just humanely euthanize her? I thought of waiting for the babies, and she does not seem to be suffering physically; still eating and drinking and alert looking. Any advice?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: Prego rat has a tumor

I wanted to add.. this is the first that I have noticed it. I had her in with my male up until last weekend, when she looked nice and round, at which time I seperate each female into her own 10g tank for birthing. The tumor was Not visable then as it is now, she just looked big and pregnant, if a little uneven.
    A warning.. if your pregnant rat looks uneven on both sides.. it could be a tumor forming. I learned the hard way.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks

Are you sure its a tumor and not mastitis?

Thanks

no worries, Jen. if she is eating and still alert then she is doing OK. I have some females with mammary tumors that still have litters and nurse all they way to weaning. Eventually the tumor will get so big that she will be dragging it around. I believe it shortens their life, but in my experience if they eat, drink and move around they aren't suffering any.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'd wait and see if she starts acting strangely. If not, I'd let her have and raise the litter, then co2 her when they're weaned.

If she starts visibly suffering, then I'd put her down right away. If it's after the birth, just swap the pinkies to other mothers if you have any other females with young litters.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've had a number of rats develop tumors before giving birth, They give birth just fine and nurse their litters just fine. The tumor doesn't go away and eventually just gets bigger and bigger. I usually feed them off after they've weaned their litter.

Mark

Thanks

Jen, I have one female rat in my colony that always develops an odd, soft feeling lump about the size you are describing when she's advanced in her pregnancies. The first time I found it I remember I called Robin all upset since I really like this particular rat (it's that funny agouti marked one Betsy Buttpatch).

Anyways, I figured Betsy was a goner but since it was small I'd monitor her and put her down humanely after the litter was born. Well the lump disappeared after the birthing! I palpitated her like mad...no lump???? She raised the litter, did fine and after a rest went back for the next litter. Same odd lump appeared on her side down near her swollen belly...same deal...gone after the birthing. It's not a blocked teat, it's up a bit from her milk lines.

All I can figure Jen is it's some internal organ of hers that gets shoved out of place during the last part of her pregnancy. It's always when she's really full of pinks and she has big litters too. I wonder if it's possible it's the same thing with your female?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I am very glad that the immediate prognosis is not that horrible. She is just acting fine. I went in and fed her, and out she zipped from her hidespot to grab her favorite things from the feed mix. I am going to keep everyone posted on what goes on with her; thanks everyone
    Ball pythons:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

My favorite rat developed a tumor right before giving birth to a litter. Hers continued to grow, but she did not act any different. Tim and Monica Bailey warned me that they tend to continue to grow and eventually burst with a big hole where they burst.

I took my girl into the vet the week of Thanksgiving to have her put down. My vet palpated it, and tried to see if he could withdraw any fluid, felt around and said "well, I can just pop that out for you with surgery if you want." The day after Thanksgiving she went in for her $25 surgery and she's gone on to be a retired breeder that helps manage the grow out females. She's still a favorite and no return of tumors!