Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,111

0 members and 3,111 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Talking Gender Confusion and a New Pair! (duw)

Well, Miss Molotov is now officially MR. Molotov.

We bought Molotov, a very red but otherwise normal BCI, a year ago at a Herp Show. I wanted that specific snake regardless of gender, but we had the breeder probe it for us since he offered. He said that Molly was definitely female, but for some reason I never quite trusted his probing ability.

We brought Molly home and quarantined "her" through a REAL bad infestation of mites, and once she was happy and healthy, we took her to the vet for a fecal and a check-up, all the regular stuff. Our vet probed "her" at about 4 subcaudal scales deep, so we figured that was that.

At 3 years old, little Molotov is about 5 feet long and just hasn't put on any real girth despite having a voracious appetite. I've always had my suspicions...

Anyway, I posted some pics over on another forum the other day and somebody pointed out her very manly-looking tail. I was like "That's IT, I'm re-probing her!"

Her long and manly tail:

So I finally cornered Joey and convinced him to get out the probes. We got 9 or 10 on one side, and 11 or 12 on the other. Quite manly indeed!

Now although this means that I'll have to go about making those super-red hypos I've always dreamed about Molotov spawning in a completely different way, this DOES mean that my super secret fantasty dream pair of Oolong and Molotov is actually a viable possibility!

This is Oolong in the sun last summer:

It was cleaning day, so after Oolong's cage had been cleaned, we decided to introduce the two of them and see if they liked each other. Oolong immediately began scooting around the cage like a mad-woman with her vent in the air, and within ten minutes we got copious amounts of back-sniffing:

Then we got a bit of back-riding and some initial investigation:

And today we have some serious courtship! Like they were made for each other!

I'm trying my best to leave them alone (besides the picture-rampage), but I just snuck in to check on them and I'm pretty sure I saw some pink.

I know it's a bit late in the season, but MAN were they happy to see each other, lol! I sure hope that they get the job done and it takes, if their babies are half as pretty as I think they'll be I'll be a happy camper!

Thanks

Re: Gender Confusion and a New Pair! (duw)

He looks awesome ! But what kind of breeder would send you home with mites and a missexed snake.

Thanks

Very nice looking couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    He looks awesome ! But what kind of breeder would send you home with mites and a missexed snake.
    I'd like to know too!
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks

But what kind of breeder would send you home with mites and a missexed snake.
    Not a very good one. =P

He is absolutely gorgeous...and a normal?! Whoa! And like Oolong doesn't suck either...can't wait to see their babies!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

A REALLY bad one! I only paid 50 bucks for Molotov, and I guess you get what you pay for? The man that sold her to me got out of snakes, though, so he's no risk to anybody else, thank goodness. It was his last litter and they were already a year and a half old, and he sold them all off at the show. Believe me, if he was still in business or even active in the hobby, I would warn people about him. Worst case of mites I've ever experienced! *shudder*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Allysen View Post
    A REALLY bad one! I only paid 50 bucks for Molotov, and I guess you get what you pay for? The man that sold her to me got out of snakes, though, so he's no risk to anybody else, thank goodness. It was his last litter and they were already a year and a half old, and he sold them all off at the show. Believe me, if he was still in business or even active in the hobby, I would warn people about him. Worst case of mites I've ever experienced! *shudder*
    Mites suck. Hate them Hate them Hate them...
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks

I would warn people about him. Worst case of mites I've ever experienced! *shudder*[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me with my boa very bad case of mites but its ok now, turned out to be a great snake

Thanks

Where there are mites, there is cursing and swearing and spitting...then there should be PAM, after which there should be no more mites and hopefully a little less cursing and swearing and spitting...
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)