Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,862

2 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male vs Female?

Thanks

Smile Male vs Female?

Hello to all, my name is Jorge and I"m new to BP.net. For a while I was debating between a children's python or a ball python but I have decided that i want to get a ball python... So i've been doing some research and I looked up all the tank info and how to set it up I'm good there... Now the hard part is to find where I can find a local breeder (408) and whether it should be male or female and how old it should be... I just have so many questions and I was hoping you guys could help ... I would prefer a local breeder because I want to see my selection instead of having a snake picked by someone else shipped to me... plus shipping a live animal just sounds awkward... Thanks for everything in advanced

Also is there a noted difference between a female and male, character wise... I know that females get a bit larger than males but is that the only difference?

Thanks

Re: Male vs Female?

The only accurate way to tell male from female is to have the animal probed or popped. Good luck with your search .

Thanks

in my experience females get a little bit bigger then males. i originally got a male as my first bp but if i were to do it all over again i would get a female for breeding purposes.

Thanks

Keep in mind though that some males still can get larger than females not all females get really large. I have an 06 male thats bigger than all my females.

Thanks

BUt as far as their demeanor?... what do you think would make a better pet based on gender?

Thanks

I don't see any personality differences that are gender based. I have females who are passive and some are dominant; same with males. Talk to a breeder about the type of personality you are looking for (dominant or passive) and they'll be able to help you choose well.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

i have both and it is more in the housing, and over all treatment of the animal that really plays into how it acts towards you. i have had animals in the past that i received as babies and right off the bat they tried to bite everyone. had them a month or so, handled them often, made sure they were fed correctly and housed correctly and now they are kitty cats.

Thanks

If you are looking purely for a pet ball python than a normal (non morph) male will be your best bang for the buck. Many top breeders have a number of normal males for sale and even with shipping they will be a much better snake for someone new to snake keeping.

You can custom pick your snake from pictures the breeder can send you and shipping isn't a concern as any experienced breeder should know how to ship properly right to your front door by overnight FedEx. I've had a number of snakes shipped in and every one of them has arrived in beautiful condition. The trick is to find the right breeder and not fall for some online scam artist.

Your other option is to either find a breeder close to you or attend a reputable snake show. Your last option should be picking up a snake from a pet store. Pet stores often sell recently imported snakes that are in poor condition and generally make difficult first snakes for people. They are also generally not sexed, have no information about the actual age of your snake and sadly, often have health issues that aren't disclosed to you by the store.

As far as care for a male vs a female it's the same thing. Females generally get larger than males but temperment tends to be more of a unique thing for that specific snake. I have laid back males and laid back females, and I have males and females that are more of a challenge to handle.

I think your best bet is to research and speak with some of our breeders here and see if they have a nice, well started male ball python that needs a good, caring home. Make sure the breeder knows you are new to snakekeeping and is willing to answer your concerns and questions.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

OK... thats sounds cool I just thought that maybe there were certain tendencies like female dogs are more protective kinda thing... Maybe females tend to establish better bonds with their human... but I guess thats not the case... Do you guys know where to find local breeders? San Jose California?.... at least the bay area?

Thanks

females are extremely emotional and love to shop....oh wait, we're talking about bps...nm
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Normal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast