Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

1 members and 3,139 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

western hognose not eating

my western hognose that i purchased a couple months ago has stopped eating... it has refused pinkies for the last 3 weeks... ive tried once a week

it used to eat fine, i fed it about 3-4x without any trouble eating. now its like it gets upset when i try to give him a pinky... it just hisses and puffs at it, but doesnt seem interested...

when should i start worrying? its very small (8-10 inches) so i dont want it to miss too many feedings...

any ideas on what i could do?

Thanks

Re: western hognose not eating

Leave the mouse in his enclosure and leave the room for 30 minutes. That trick always worked for me.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Put him in a small tupperware type container (preferably round) with air holes cut. Put the lid on and cover with a towel or shirt. Leave him alone for an hour or so. That worked for me with a baby corn that would not eat her pinkys. I've been lucky so far with my hoggie as he has yet to miss a meal. Good luck!
    --Walt

Thanks

even at that size it will go a long time and be fine without food... i know from experience

just be patient, its normal. i think thats the reason the hog isnt more popular than it it.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

You can also try getting some type of frog or toad and keep the mouse in the same container for a few mins or rub them together to scent the mouse and then put him in a small container and that should do the trick. Ive had times were my hognose wouldnt eat til I scented it but never had a refusal when scented.
    In the end, we will all die alone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NateDogg13 View Post
    You can also try getting some type of frog or toad and keep the mouse in the same container for a few mins or rub them together to scent the mouse and then put him in a small container and that should do the trick. Ive had times were my hognose wouldnt eat til I scented it but never had a refusal when scented.
    I also have a hog that has been refusing recently. What type of toad should I purchase in order to scent the mouse? Or will the canned-tuna method I've read in another thread work just as well?
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Hypo Columbian Red Tail Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist View Post
    even at that size it will go a long time and be fine without food... i know from experience

just be patient, its normal. i think thats the reason the hog isnt more popular than it is.
    What do you mean by normal? I've never experienced that! Sorry, I just don't want people to be reluctant when getting a Hognose.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

I currently keepseveral hognose, and have bred them in the past. I now Westerns/Mexican, Eastern and Southern and for some reason they all seem to go of feed for a time for no apparent reason. I have noticed this to be more so with males.

I have all my more finicky feeder accepting salmon scented, tuna and toad scented pinks. They will grab them with gusto. I bought a can of canned salmon from the store. I dumped the contents in a freezer bag and froze it. Now when i feed the more finicky hogs, I rust rub the thawed pink on the frozen salmon and it has worked for every baby that is a reluctant feeder. You can buy a frog from the petshop. I have used tree frogs in the past.
    Micah Chance

Vice President
    Arizona Herpetological Association
    www.azreptiles.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MRC View Post
    I currently keepseveral hognose, and have bred them in the past. I now Westerns/Mexican, Eastern and Southern and for some reason they all seem to go of feed for a time for no apparent reason. I have noticed this to be more so with males.

I have all my more finicky feeder accepting salmon scented, tuna and toad scented pinks. They will grab them with gusto. I bought a can of canned salmon from the store. I dumped the contents in a freezer bag and froze it. Now when i feed the more finicky hogs, I rust rub the thawed pink on the frozen salmon and it has worked for every baby that is a reluctant feeder. You can buy a frog from the petshop. I have used tree frogs in the past.
    I will definitely try the canned salmon method. Can it really be any type of toad/frog? I ask because I have a friend that has a Pacman that I could use to quickly scent (If it doesn't try to eat the pinky itself).
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Hypo Columbian Red Tail Boa

Thanks

I don't know about a Pacman. I would stick with a North American species and would also opt to keep my fingers from being a Pacman snake. I would just buy a $5 toad from Petsmart and keep it alive or just freeze it. It's easier to scent with a frozen toad then you don't have to deal with the upkeep.
    Micah Chance

Vice President
    Arizona Herpetological Association
    www.azreptiles.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast