Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,303

2 members and 2,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Shedding,not moving,always on the cool side, normal?

Hi!
    I just got my ball on Friday! I'm really happy but bit worried too since when I got him he was about to shed (bluish eyes) and he's been hiding in his hide on the cool side. The thing is my friend had a corn snake and on one morning he got him outta his hide and he was Dead! So I'm kinda worried. I'm looking on him daily (lifting his hide to see if he breathes lol)
    So is it normal that he stays in the same hide (cool side) while he is shedding?
    Thanks,
    Fred.

Thanks

Re: Shedding,not moving,always on the cool side, normal?

I'm new too but I think during the shedding process they stay in one place normally. My ball is going through the same thing only hes on his warm side.... I bumped his humidity up some so you may want to do that as well. I bet someone with more experience will give you a for sure on that.

Thanks

Its going to spend most of its life in a hide box, its what they do.

Okay, back to the question asked. Most snakes will not move while they are shedding, I find that I have a lot of snakes that will use the cold side while shedding, some like the hot side. They are going to be much less active while shedding, don't bother trying to feed, or handle to much.

Just make sure that the cage temps and humidity is correct and the cold side is fine. It will find the hot side if it need to warm up.

Make sure the humidity is a little higher then normal to help with the shed.

Thanks

If you just got him, leave him alone. Dont bother him, take him out, peek in, move his furniture. Nothing. Dont bother him at all except to change his water/substrate when soiled.. Do this for 2 weeks.

He is in blue, so his skin is more delicate and he is going to be grumpy, scared, and shy. They are at a huge disadvantage when they are blue, so they will not move from their hides 95% of the time.

Check your temps and humidity, make sure its around 65-70% for his shed period. In a few days his eyes will clear up and he will shed his skin in a few more days.

He will most likely not eat during the shedding process, but if you leave him alone until after the 2 weeks and a shed, he will very likely eat.

Thanks

I am in a similar situation to the OP so I have a follow up question partly curiosity, partly concern:
    Don't they need to move in order to shed? Like don't they need to rub against something? My tank is in view of my bed so I see it all night and there has been zero movement or leaving the hide in mine for days.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amyl View Post
    I am in a similar situation to the OP so I have a follow up question partly curiosity, partly concern:
    Don't they need to move in order to shed? Like don't they need to rub against something? My tank is in view of my bed so I see it all night and there has been zero movement or leaving the hide in mine for days.
    This thread is over 12 years old. You'll have better luck starting your own thread, you'll get more replies.

To answer your question though, yes its completely normal for them to stay in their hides the entire time they're in shed.
    They do need something to rub against to get the shed started, and when they're ready they'll find something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    If you just got him, leave him alone. Dont bother him, take him out, peek in, move his furniture. Nothing. Dont bother him at all except to change his water/substrate when soiled.. Do this for 2 weeks.

He is in blue, so his skin is more delicate and he is going to be grumpy, scared, and shy. They are at a huge disadvantage when they are blue, so they will not move from their hides 95% of the time.

Check your temps and humidity, make sure its around 65-70% for his shed period. In a few days his eyes will clear up and he will shed his skin in a few more days.

He will most likely not eat during the shedding process, but if you leave him alone until after the 2 weeks and a shed, he will very likely eat.

This! They are pissed off and scared at the same!