Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,833

1 members and 2,832 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused

Thanks

Confused

One of my female mice looks to be pregnant again... but has not been in contact with any males at all. Right now she is only with another mom( which had 11 babys right before she had hers). All babys are acounted for and they are eating normaly, and she is in the noticably round stage, almost a golfball.

When she had her babys she was not like this, and she had them i think two weeks ago. Do mice retain sperm? If i had her in with a male she would already be in a prego bin.Shes getting bigger too. Im confused....
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Re: Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    One of my female mice looks to be pregnant again... but has not been in contact with any males at all. Right now she is only with another mom( which had 11 babys right before she had hers). All babys are acounted for and they are eating normaly, and she is in the noticably round stage, almost a golfball.

When she had her babys she was not like this, and she had them i think two weeks ago. Do mice retain sperm? If i had her in with a male she would already be in a prego bin.Shes getting bigger too. Im confused....
    Try pming MarkS... He knows his stuff! Just in case he doesnt see this thread..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, thanks Jas, I really don't know THAT much about mice, but I know a little. And I seem to get better at it the longer I keep them. I don't think that mice can retain sperm. However, I do know that they can breed immediately after giving birth and can then delay implantation of the fertilized eggs so that it takes longer for them to give birth to their next litter. This can make it seem like the gestation period is taking longer then the usual 21 days.

Mark

Thanks

The only males she has been around is the ones she had, and they havent even opened their eyes yet
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Aliens??
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

What is her coloring or marking?

Otherwise, you have a male in the hen house...

Thanks

Remember my post onthe orange and grey mouse? Turns out she is one too. I was wondering why i had some of them in her litter when its a domanant trait and the only other male in there like it was my little guy.

There is no way she has ever been in contact with a male mouse since before or after birth. Could be that she is just one huge mouse... and getting bigger....
    - Matt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Remember my post onthe orange and grey mouse? Turns out she is one too. I was wondering why i had some of them in her litter when its a domanant trait and the only other male in there like it was my little guy.

There is no way she has ever been in contact with a male mouse since before or after birth. Could be that she is just one huge mouse... and getting bigger....
    If you are absolutely positive that she has not been bred again, you may have an ill mouse on your hands. Any quick weight gain that is not linked to her mating at all would make me concerned.

Just something to think about, and that doesnt mean that she isnt pregnant again....

Thanks

Actually, sounds like she is getting fat if she really is a brindle

http://www.petrodents.com/index.php/...sics-Mice.html

Brindle is dominant to all but yellow (Ay). A typical brindle will be yellow with black or agouti stripes, resembling a tiger; however, the appearance of brindle mice can be altered by the presence of dilution on other loci. Brindle is also prone to obesity.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I need me some obese mice!
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast