Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,097

0 members and 3,097 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Thermostat brand you own and which you prefer better?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Helix

27 31.40%
  • Herpstat

37 43.02%
  • Ranco

17 19.77%
  • Johnson

13 15.12%
  • ZooMed

8 9.30%
  • Alife thermostat

3 3.49%
  • Other

6 6.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermostats?

Thanks

Talking Thermostats?

Ok this is my first post kinda been lurking in the shadows and finally decided to come out. I am interested in a thermostat and have done a lot of research and will make my choice based on what the more experienced have to say. Please help me by telling me what the difference in a "proportional" vs. "on/off" and anything else i will need to know. thanks a million to all

Thanks

Re: Thermostats?

BloO, a proportional thermostat is always "on". it regulates the current going to your heat source to keep a constant temp. They can be programed to the 10th of a degree normally.

A "on/off" such as a ranco is exactly that, its basically full throttle then off until it cools down again to where you have it programed to be and it then turns back on.

I use rancos. My incubator is on a dual ranco and the reason is that if my power were to go out, when I tested the ranco vs a herpstat on my generator I had issues with the proportional. It would simply cycle on and off as it was not clean enough power to stay at the tenth of a degree it was programed to. The ranco is on or off, it did not really care about the power and ran perfectly on the generator.
    Support my efforts to raise awareness and donations to the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my Grandfather Eugene......
    www.awalktoendalzheimers.com

"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I own two types.

For basic plug-and-use, I own Helix DBS1000.

When I need better functionality, I use Spyder Robotics Herpstat Pro Bundles. What the Herpstat Pro allows you to do is amazing. I own 3, soon to be 4. If you have $350-400 to spend per thermostat get the Pro.

These are the only two types of heat control I use.

Thanks

We own 3 Ranco's for the rack and a Helix that's still in the box that will be in the incubator. Our rack is in a very warm room and provides a hot spot when they want it. The helix seemed like a good choice for incubating to avoid any drop in temperature to kick back on. We are happy with 3 of our Ranco's and the helix is always rumored to very good.

Thanks

I have 2 Herpstats and a Helix. I like the Herpstats better. The features and ease of use are great.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

I have a Ranco, that replaced the old Repti temp thermostat. It does its job, and I have never had any problems with it. However, I would love to get a proportional t-stat and will probably go with a helix when I do.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

Well, I currently have one Ranco, one Johnson, and about 4-5 ReptiTemp 500Rs. I use the higher quality stats on my BPs and the lower ones on my corns. I have so many right now because everyone is in different rooms due to QT. The Reptitemps do their work, that's all I need them to do. Yes they fluctuate, but since corns don't need spot on temps, the cheapy stats are fine.

Someday, yes I would like to own a proportional for my BPs (once they're both in the same place). Most likely a Herpstat...and someday a Herpstat II for warm and cool sides. But getting even the normal herpstat is going to take quite a while...
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I use 2 Herpstat Pro's for my racks, incubator and ambient room temps(400watt heater) i also have 3 Rancos that I use for my quarrantines and a backup up room heater(1500 watt heater). I keep my back up heater a few degrees below the other heater in case the 400 watt cant keep up(cold snap) or breaks.

I used to use only Rancos but once you go Herpstat you will never go back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    I use 2 Herpstat Pro's for my racks, incubator and ambient room temps(400watt heater) i also have 3 Rancos that I use for my quarrantines and a backup up room heater(1500 watt heater). I keep my back up heater a few degrees below the other heater in case the 400 watt cant keep up(cold snap) or breaks.

I used to use only Rancos but once you go Herpstat you will never go back.
    Thats what I'm talking about. Sounds like you have your heat and back up planes down pat.

I too agree on the Herpstat.

Thanks

I have Helix's and Herpstat II's. I have a Helix hooked up to the QT rack and a Helix for the boa cage. I have a Herpstat II running racks and cages for the balls. I have a Helix ready to go for the 'bator for next season and I have a Herpstat II in the first aid kit so if anything glitches, I'm ready!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast