Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

1 members and 2,858 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Using Cold side to much

I have a 3 year old male BP, Who refuses to go around his warm side unless he has just eaten. Even then he still stays on the warm side for a day, and is right back over to the cold side. I have him in a custom tank that i built. It's 48"L -24"D -24"H, with warm side reaching 80-81F, and cool side 75F. Here are some pics of the enclosure:

Full tank

Warm side

Cold side

Him on the branches wanting to know what i'm doing.

I have 3 other female BP's that live in tubs, and they all are doing excellent. I just can't find a tub to put him in where he has a hut a bowl and room to move. So what do you think may be the reason he likes the cold side?

Thanks,
    Brandon

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Using Cold side to much

Wow, His hot side is way,way to low it needs to be between 91-94. How his humidity? Maybe he feels more secure in his cool side you need to fix his hot side temps.

You should have two of the same hides he seem to be choosing the one he likes better.

You also should go with a smaller water bowl they don't swim!

Thanks

I think I would chill on the cool side too. His hot side is soo bare. look at the cool side, how full of branches it is. maybe if you continue that theme to the hot side. he will even out.

There is a lot of debate about the right temps to keep you hot side at. I would say bump it up a little, but I think 94 is gettin up there.

Thanks

The tank is always at a constant 65% humidity (Thats why he has such a big water bowl, Plus he soaks in it when he gets ready to shed.). I also have a humidifier for when he is in shed to increase it to 80%.

I will even it out with plants, and add some identical hides, along with raising the heat on the warm side.

I also have a few more Q's.

1st Q
    I am moving the pythons into their own bedroom (due to recieving 2 more next sat). I am buying a oil filled heater for the room, cause thats what people have recommended. What should the ambient room temp. be, and how do they maintain the humidity in such a large area?

2nd
    I have heard alot of mixed replies on how big a tub should be for an adult bp. Well i put my big guy in a 41q, and it didn't seem big enough for his hide and water bowl. Thats really the only reason he is still in that tank. Does anyone have any info and pics of the set up? Pics would help alot.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Thanks

Are you using the under-bed tubs? They give you a lot more floor space, and not a bunch of unneeded air space. Maybe the hides are too big, too. I'm using the bottom 6" of a couple office wastebaskets flipped upside down.

If you keep the ambient temp at 80, that should keep the snakes' ambient about the same, right? 80 is what I've heard everybody on here say is good. Below 75 is at risk of respiratory infection.

Thanks

so far we are just using just normal rubbermaids, and sterilite. the under bed tubs, are they the ones where one side of the lid can lift while the other side stays flat?

Thanks

By "under bed", I meant the type that are only about 6-7" high, and very long and wide. It gives the snake more room to move about, and you aren't trying to heat/humidify a bunch of unnecessary air space.

Thanks

oh, i know what you talking about. I have one i can try out. do you have any pics of how you set it up? I also don't understand how people say you need 2 hides in the tubs, but between the water bowl and 1 hut there isn't much more room for the younger ones.