Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

1 members and 2,963 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Little Dude! What do you think of him??

I do not have many friends or family that like snakes really so I felt my Little Dude (thats his name lol) should be shared because I think hes just so pretty. I wish I had a better camera but he is very photogenic I think.
    What do you think?

1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Little Dude! What do you think of him??

Nice bp but his home is way to big.

HOUSING
    The most popular and convenient methods of housing ball pythons includes glass tanks, plastic tubs, or professionally built enclosures. Whether you choose one of these, or choose to make your own, any enclosure must provide the following necessities:
    adequate ventilation to prevent stagnant air
    thermal gradient
    proper humidity levels
    sufficient space without being too large
    security to prevent escape
    For juvenile BPs up to 2’ a 10 gallon (or equivalently sized) enclosure is adequate. For adults an enclosure 36x18x12” should provide them with enough room for the duration of their lives.

GLASS – Aquariums or "Kritter Keepers" (glass tanks made for holding small animals) are readily available, offer the best visibility for viewing your snake and come in a wide variety of sizes. However, it can be difficult to maintain the proper heat and humidity, especially in larger tanks. In addition, the clear sides all around may make a shy ball python feel exposed and insecure. Care must be taken to insure the lid is secured to prevent escape.

PLASTIC – Use of plastic storage tubs (usually by Sterilite or Rubbermaid) has become an increasingly popular option which is cost effective, utilitarian and very functional. Their lighter weight makes cleaning very easy, and multiple tubs can be stacked in rack systems to hold multiple animals in a relatively small space. Holes for ventilation can be made in the plastic using an inexpensive soldering iron and can be placed strategically to allow vertical air movement and cross-ventilation. The downside is that these plastics lack the true transparency available in glass and this can be an aesthetic deterrent to some.

PROFESSIONAL/CUSTOM - Professional-level snake enclosures from manufacturers such as Animal Plastics, Neodesha, etc. These can be purchased online or at reptiles shows and come either fully assembled or requiring assembly. Many of these can be ordered with custom features such as heat tape, heat panels, ventilation and lighting options as well as featuring great visibility but also tend to cost significantly more than glass or plastic.

With a tall home like that i would think its hard to keep his temps and humidity levels on target.

Thanks

He does have identical hides but they are sitting on top of each other because I stuck a moist hide in that he doesn't use unless he is shedding, otherwise his identical hide would be there.
    Missi

Thanks

I do not believe his tank is too big. He has lots too hide under and it is covered on the sides by material attched with velcro so I can remove it. I took the picture without this to show the tank better. His humidity stays up just fine because I keep the top covered, it stays around 58. I have digital probes so I can measure his humidity highs, lows and current in multiple areas. He has a heating pad which has a control and a thermometer attached to the bottom of the glass directly above it and i keep it around 89. His cooler side is about 82. I know what Im doing thank-you and If I had a bigger collection he would be in a plastic tub likely, but this is what I think looks great and works so I will keep it this way.
    Missi

Thanks

Looks all good to me man. I got my baby bp in a 40 breeder because that's what he was in when I bought him so piss on it. As long as he's healthy and temps and humidity are good you're good to go. Congrats. Pretty snake.

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by missi182 View Post
    I do not believe his tank is too big. He has lots too hide under and it is covered on the sides by material attched with velcro so I can remove it. I took the picture without this to show the tank better. His humidity stays up just fine because I keep the top covered, it stays around 58. I have digital probes so I can measure his humidity highs, lows and current in multiple areas. He has a heating pad which has a control and a thermometer attached to the bottom of the glass directly above it and i keep it around 89. His cooler side is about 82. I know what Im doing thank-you and If I had a bigger collection he would be in a plastic tub likely, but this is what I think looks great and works so I will keep it this way.
    Sry to get smart but if you know what your doing why are his temps wrong?

Thanks

what is wrong with his temps? and if your going to tell me Im wrong with in like 2 degrees....well...I won't be rude but its not like the temp stays 100% exactly at what i said all the time....It varies a few degrees
    Missi

Thanks

I keep my temps 93 hot. 85 middle. 78 cool. Humidity is always at 60%.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingLink View Post
    Sry to get smart but if you know what your doing why are his temps wrong?
    Temps look fine to me? Nice looking bp..

Thanks

Sounds like you're doin' fine to me. Congrats again on little dude. My little dude "Furio" will HOPEFULLY eat for me tomorrow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast