Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

1 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

another nervous mommy thread

can they soak too much? jaxson was in his water bowl last night when we went to bed and when i checked on everyone this morning he was still there, he might have very well gotten out of the bowl and was just coincidentally back in it this morning... so thats the question, is he just happy in his little spa or is there something more possibly going on (dare i say mites?) i havnt seen any yet but i need to do a more thorough check over, little flecks in his skin can be deceiving im sure

Thanks

Re: another nervous mommy thread

I'm not sure if boa's soak......I'm not that good with Boa's .....but for all new additions to my collections ....I keep a can of Provent -a-Mite handy. if i know i'll be bringing something home....I'll treat the enclosure just in case!

the stuff is good...all you need is a little bit
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Check for mites.. you can look in the water bowl for little black specks (they usually float)

If it turns out he just likes to soak.. make sure you clean it quickly if he leaves a present in the water.. soaking in bacteria-filled water isn't healthy.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

thanks shelby. when i get home this afternoon ill be sure to check for mites (ill check everyone else too, since we had a couple newbies come in lately, not next to one another but new just the same.. and we started using aspen, just incase the aspen has mites, boy would that stink!) I had read somewhere that they like to soak but im not sure that he would want to soak for that long

Thanks

Ashley, just wanted to say thanks for your postings! I'll be getting my first boa when the weather cooperates and your questions and the answers from forum members have been invaluable for me.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

no problem lol... im glad its helped someone else besides me.. i feel like such a noob (i know i am when it comes to the boas) i feel like im being a nervous nelly but i know my balls, not so much the boas, and even though you think youve done enough research youve never done enough, and your always learning (your meaning me, not nessesarily you) so with that said, congrats on your new addition im sure you will love yours as much as i love my little jaxson. getting into reptiles was one of the best hobbies ive gotten into. i find it so facinating and its a hobby i can take part with my children, in my own home and even though its addicting to an extent it sure is fun! (although smoking at this point wouldve been cheaper)

Thanks

ok, no mites in the water. i changed it out when i checked and things look alright. no mites. i held him for a bit after i changed the water and left him alone.. now 30minutes later the bottom half of his body is in the water dish again lol.

Thanks

Double check your temps and humidity, and maybe toy with the idea that he doesn't feel snug in his hides. Is his belly changing color? As in a shed is coming around? Palpate his body, feel for any hard mass like he has to poop.

That's really all I can think of, hopefully it will pass quickly

Thanks

temps/humidity are fine.. his belly looks clear still (As in no shed coming) his belly feels fine also. perhaps he just likes to soak? (although i can see where its a bit excessive) he gets all snug and tight in his hide, cant get a smaller one either (Smallest black hide they make) i suppose i could find something else for him to hide in

Thanks

he was seeking a hide!

I moved his hide from the front of the bin to the back and hes in the hide and not in the water bowl anymore.. so perhaps he was just trying to hide and didnt want to be on the cold end of his bin great suggestions everyone!! thanks, little jax is comfy in his hide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast