Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

3 members and 3,314 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Banned
    Thanks

getting a redtail?

I currently have a ball python and am considering aquiring a red tail boa. I was wondering what the owners of these snakes thought about the snake in general meaning how they act to handling and whether it is a good snake for someone who has never had one thanks

Thanks

Re: getting a redtail?

they are a little more tempermental than bp's but they are awesome snakes. just get one locally and check its temperment. also just make sure you know what your getting into cuz they can get around 10 ft 40 lbs
    pin albino bp in the making

Thanks

10ft???? Well, true red tails can get up to ten feet.. but only certain localities such as Suris or Guyanas. Typical Columbians usually only get about 6 ft long, with the big girls possibly reaching 8ft. (more info on different localities can be found at riobravoreptiles.com)

I also don't think they are more temperamental. I have found that every snake has their own personality. Boas tend to be nosier, more outgoing... when you have them out of their enclosures, they will immediately take off and try to get into everything! But I haven't noticed them typically being hissier or nippier than BPs, not at all.

If you have had your BP for awhile, and he is flourishing, and you think you're ready to take on the challenge of a bigger snake, then yes, I'd say you're ready. Boas are awesome snakes with great personalities. And they're beautiful!

I would recommend picking one up from an established breeder. The good ones will answer any and all questions you have about a snake... you can usually pick yours from a line-up, and they will be able to tell you it's history, if it's got a bit of an attitude, etc.

I heart boa!

Thanks

If you have a ball python, or experience in keeping them. Have the know how of keeping temps and humidity in check. You should be good to go as far as husbandry skills, although we are always learning.

IF you feel comfortable with a larger snake, larger than a ball You will be just fine.

Also BCI really don't reach 10ft on average as Ladywhipple said. Although not impossible, just not as common on average.

I do not think boas are more temperamental than balls. I got my first boa several weeks ago, and I can tell you I have had a blast with him. He doesn't stress easily, he is so curious about every thing, especially plastic cups lol. I have been struck at one time the day I got him he struck at my face, but he was stressed, and in a new environment and hadn't even been put into his new home yet. I don't blame him, I would have done the same if I were him. It still didn't make me nervous about handling him. He is very laid back, and very easy to read his mood!!

I think you will really enjoy keeping one! I certainly have.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

I love my BCI. He fits a unique niche in our herp life. He is generally more inquisitive to handle than my BPs. I would only ever want one; they are a tad too big for me to really see myself enjoying anymore than one. But I would definately handle and observe a fully-grown specimen before getting one. it is always nice to see what you'll be dealing with a few years down the road, appearance wise!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I'm getting a female red-tail from Mike's Aby line!!! Just have to wait for the weather to cooperate; might even get her this week!!!! Mike has been super-patient with all of my questions (is she a bci? is she still a Columbian with their chill personality? does she have a mustache!) Anyway, I can't wait!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

don't you find you grow into it as well genevive? i want to get a boa, not sure if it's gonna be bci,bcc or bcl yet, im up in the air, but for my balls, i've gotten them all as babies and i find they grow with me, and i know how to read each one inside and out, cause i "know" them, i've never been bit or struck at cause i think i can read them pretty well, from what i've heard, OP is that bci are pretty much the best snake to have once you get over the size, tempermant etc are excellent, but remember they are just like people, different personalities, tempers, etc ,everyones different

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjr464 View Post
    don't you find you grow into it as well genevive? i want to get a boa, not sure if it's gonna be bci,bcc or bcl yet, im up in the air, but for my balls, i've gotten them all as babies and i find they grow with me, and i know how to read each one inside and out, cause i "know" them, i've never been bit or struck at cause i think i can read them pretty well, from what i've heard, OP is that bci are pretty much the best snake to have once you get over the size, tempermant etc are excellent, but remember they are just like people, different personalities, tempers, etc ,everyones different

Definitely! You should definitely get your first boa as a baby... by the time they grow into big fat-butts, you still see them as that little red-tailed wyrm It's like having any other animal, you eventually get to know their moods and don't bother them when they don't want to be bothered.

McKinsey, Aby's are amazing creatures! Congrats on the new aquisition!

Thanks

I love mine already, he is nothing more than a noodle but just as cute as can be. congrats on considering them the members here have been awesome helping me with our new addition Jaxson.