Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,913

1 members and 1,912 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

tiger salamander suggestions?

I found a tiger salamander by my door tonight and it didnt look like it was doing to well so I took it in. it was drying out so I put it in a tub with some damp paper towels. how should I set this guy up? what type of setup aquatic or something else? what temps should the tank be? any help would be great. thanks.

Thanks

Re: tiger salamander suggestions?

Tiger salamanders do fine at normal room temperatures.. they're actually not good swimmers, but they need a moist environment. You can provide a large shallow water dish for soaking.. and something like sphagnum moss or bed-a-beast for substrate.. keep it moist as well.

They love eating crickets, worms, and mealworms.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Yes, tiger sals do well in a moist terrestrial environment. I kept 2 awhile ago, but ended up giving them to my friend because she has a permit to own them and they are actually illegal in my state to own..!
    I had mine in a 20g-long tank, screen top. They did well off of crickets (dusted with Repti-Vite every other feeding or so.) They were so funny; they'd wait for a crick to go by, and then grab it, and shake their head like a dog grabbing a shoe or something!
    I also fed mine reasonably-sized nightcrawler worms. Mealies are great too. I always used the Eco-Earth brand of coconut-husk bedding for mine. They love to burrow (they are "mole salamanders" like Spotteds, which is why they are not often seen in the wild unless you lift up a rotting log or something.) I also had a Very Shallow water dish in that they could soak in (like a tea-set plate.) It also helped with humidity, but I misted the tank regularly and kept plastic wrap over most of the lid.
    I would probably keep any future ones in a tub. Humidity retention is a cinch, and cleaning is easier.. I didn't know about tubs as housing for herps back when I had mine!
    I would add in fun things like large native rocks for them to hide behind. Moss, soft fake plants (harder ones could hurt their delicate skin.) Their skin is porous like frogs, but I do remember mine sipping water (frogs don't do that, they absorb water through their skins, but sals can do that also.)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

thanks for the info. I have him set up in a tub he is really cool and likes to eat. thanks again for the help