Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,309

1 members and 1,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed

Thanks

Advice Needed

Got a few questions for you rodent breeders out there. I currently have 4 BP's with another coming in April, my issue is i'm thinking about breeding either ASF's or regular rats for feeders. I just don't know if it is worth it for me yet. All but 1 of my snakes eat live and the 1 that eats f/t could care less (has a GREAT feeding response). If I do decide to breed feeders I don't know where to start, and how many rats to get. Also how often do they produce litters and how long does it take for the babies to reach a feedable size? And is it actually cheaper to breed rats than buy them as needed? Any help would be appreciated!
    1.0 Hypo RTB - Kotex * 1.0 Spider BP - Master Chief * 1.0 Pastel BP - Snakey * 0.3 Normal BP's - Cortana, Baby Girl & Straga

Thanks

Re: Advice Needed

After the initial setup (caging and whatnot), it doesn't seem like there would be much cost for breeding them. Live rats cost about $5 a piece here, so breeding would HAVE to be cheaper.

From what I've read here, you want 1 female per snake. I'll let the people who know what they're talking about fill in the rest

Thanks

Live rats around me are $6.99 no matter the size, hence my thought of breeding
    1.0 Hypo RTB - Kotex * 1.0 Spider BP - Master Chief * 1.0 Pastel BP - Snakey * 0.3 Normal BP's - Cortana, Baby Girl & Straga

Thanks

Once you have everything set up, it is well worth it. I thought I would never do it, but it isn't that bad. Around here people recommend 1 female breeder per snake. So if you are gonna have 5 snakes 1.5 might be a good group for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    Once you have everything set up, it is well worth it. I thought I would never do it, but it isn't that bad. Around here people recommend 1 female breeder per snake. So if you are gonna have 5 snakes 1.5 might be a good group for you.
    I thought the same thing. I used to hate rodents but now I have a 1.5 rattie group and I cant wait for babys!
    Crazy bout balls!!!

Thanks

Thanks for the posts! So I know how many I should get, now the questions that remain....

1. How big do ASF's get? will they be big enough for a full grown BP?
    2. How long does it take for them to grow?
    3. How many litters should I expect and how often?
    4. If I go with ASF's (which I am leaning heavily towards) do I just leave them all together all the time and pick out the ones I am feeding?

Thanks again!

Thanks

I just got a 1.2 I got 2 snakes so I hope it pays off and there cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    You could learn a thing or two from Big Gunns. The first lesson being.....if you're gonna dish it, you better be ready to EAT IT!!!!!
    I do it for the lulz, nothing else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Enve View Post
    Thanks for the posts! So I know how many I should get, now the questions that remain....

1. How big do ASF's get? will they be big enough for a full grown BP?
    2. How long does it take for them to grow?
    3. How many litters should I expect and how often?
    4. If I go with ASF's (which I am leaning heavily towards) do I just leave them all together all the time and pick out the ones I am feeding?

Thanks again!
    1-They stay smaller than a small rat and the perfect size bp's
    2-They grow slow.
    3-They have babies by the truck loads.
    4-No the males will fight to the death and you cant take the males out when the females have babies. Because if yoou put him back in he's as good a dead. And they help with the babies.

AND THEY DON'T STINK!!!

Thanks

Thanks Wolves! So after the babies are weaned do you have to split them up into different tanks with all males in 1 and all females in another? I finally found someone local that has them for a decent price I think and want to get all my crap in order before I go pick them up. Also what size tank would you recommend for 1.5? And can you keep them in tubs or does it have to be a glass tank?

Thanks

There is a forum for ASF rats, I don't have the link but if you google African soft fur rat forum, it would come up. Most of the people on there recommend 1.3 or 1.4 at the most. I'm getting my asf's in a few weeks and I'm going to do 1.3. But that's just what I read on the forum....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast