Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 810

1 members and 809 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: ASFs... Where?

Thanks

Question ASFs... Where?

Hey all. I've been looking into ASFs since I first stumbled across this site a while back and I have to admit, I first intended to breed feeder mice but the ASFs seemed to be a better choice.

At the moment I am a bit stuck, though... I can't find any! I am located in Southern Oregon and nobody around here has even heard of them. I searched online but anything I find is for local pick up in areas I can't get to. I am willing to drive up to 200 miles one way to get some but Nobody within that range has any live.

I found some places that ship but jimminy crickets, $100.00 for a trio or $20.00 for males $30.00 for females?

I really wanted to get my colony started soon, within the next few weeks so I have a good population when I get my BPs.. but I can't seem to find any that are reasonably priced or local.

Any suggestions? If I can't find any ASFs at reasonable prices I will probably just end up with mice or gerbils.

Thanks

Re: ASFs... Where?

The only thing I know to suggest is to look for a local reptile show. You may have to wait a little bit until there is one near you but the upside is when i picked up a 1.2 trio at the show, I paid 3 or 4 dollars a piece I believe. Well worth the weight. Unfortunately due to some miscommunication between my wife and myself the 1.2 trio was gone the next morning due to the cage not being placed together correctly....**grumbles**

That's the best I can suggest other than shelling out the cash.
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holbeird View Post
    The only thing I know to suggest is to look for a local reptile show. You may have to wait a little bit until there is one near you but the upside is when i picked up a 1.2 trio at the show, I paid 3 or 4 dollars a piece I believe. Well worth the weight. Unfortunately due to some miscommunication between my wife and myself the 1.2 trio was gone the next morning due to the cage not being placed together correctly....**grumbles**

That's the best I can suggest other than shelling out the cash.
    agrees...we got lucky with a breeder that had too many....personally, never heard of them before that....but GLAD we got them....they are well worth it....well worth the wait

Thanks

Thanks Holbeird - unfortunately I have already searched for local reptile shows - they almost don't exist. I had to work this past weekend or I'd have been at the one in Portland. The only ones I can get to otherwise are in August and September. Everywhere else is too far.

I like the benefits of the ASFs but dishing out $200.00 just for the animals would set me back too much. $250.00 is my budget for getting the colony started, which includes tanks, chews, bowls, food, shelving, and animals.

I'll keep looking but it looks like I'm going with mice or gerbils.

Thanks

My experience would suggest that rats are easier and more effective than mice or gerbils. Regarding ASFs, Heath (TekWarren on here) has a great little ASF forum.

www.asfrats.info

There's an advertising section there for breeders with surplus litters. There is one girl shipping them, but she has some sketchy threads on the BOI and I would recommend that you read those and then decide for yourself if you buy from her. My understanding on these guys is that the main cost is shipping them...it runs around $80 or so. The result is that they are spreading more slowly by hand-to-hand transport and purchase, and so are taking a while to become available in some areas.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Thanks, I had already scanned that site and did not find anything but I will continue to check. I used to breed rats and I have had small animals of all sorts, cared for everything including Chinchillas and Sugar Gliders, Ferrets, Rabbits, guiney pigs and hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, hedgehogs, possums, squirrels and ground squirrels. Mice, rats, and gerbils are a piece of cake for me even in large numbers.

I'm not concerned about the handling and care requirements of the animals so much. I was interested in the ASFs because of their size and reputation for low smell.

I'll just keep looking, thanks guys!

Thanks

If you're willing to drive, I would thoroughly canvass all pet stores within reasonable distance. With the internet and websites such as 411.com and Anywho, this should not be too tough. I would think that at least one store should have them or at least be able to order them!
    But with gas prices, it might just be cheaper to have them shipped, if there are people that can do such things.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Yeah I've already called all the pet stores I can locate with in a 50 miles radius and either they don't have them won't order some or have never heard of them before. I'll keep trying, I'll call back and see if anybody more knowledgable is available than what I ot to speak with before. I'll get the mice first and just keep searching or save the money to have some shipped. I may just wait until the reptile shows in the late summer/fall.

I love this area but sometimes it is a very inconvenient place to be.

Thanks

AHA! I have found an expo quite close and in March... I love the internet. Thanks again for all the suggestions guys