Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,440

4 members and 1,436 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question is this normal??

Hi Again

Just need a bit of advice really. As some of you already know i got my first BP a little over 2 weeks ago. The first week she seemed a little shy to start but then started coming out in the evening and a little during the day. I then tried to give her her first feed one week after getting her. The mouse was pre killed and i left it with her over night - but no takers.

This week she has gone very shy, she tends to stick to her cool side hide and only comes out during late evening norm after 11:30 ish and is back in her hide by 7am. This has been her routine since last thurs and then today she came out for a bit of a drink and a very small nose around and is back in the cool hide.

I have left her completley alone this week and intend on trying to feed her again this thurs with a stunned mouse, and pre scenting her home for 15mins before.

Is her behaviour normal for a hatchling?? is she just a very shy girl??

Am i doing the right thing with leaving her to herself until she has eaten??

sorry for all the questions but this is our first snake ever and don't really know what is 'normal' behaviour yet.

I then left her completly alone again for this week (apart from water changing etc) and intend on trying to feed her again this thurs.

Thanks

Re: is this normal??

sounds norm my pastel is the same way but he eats like a champ so idk ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    You could learn a thing or two from Big Gunns. The first lesson being.....if you're gonna dish it, you better be ready to EAT IT!!!!!
    I do it for the lulz, nothing else.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

That sounds perfectly normal. Sounds like you're right on track. However, I must comment on the stunned mouse thing. I could be a little off the mark here as I am just a newbie too, but I don't think it's a good idea to stun the prey. My first BP did not eat on the first attempt either (FT). So I asked around and someone suggested live feedings. Worked like a charm. I have been feeding live ever since. If your snake usually comes out to play at around 11:30 P.M. or so, I would put the mouse (live in a box) or (frozen thawed and warmed) on top of her tank at around 11:00 P.M. In a very short time you should see her come out and be a lot more excited than usual. Once you see this, you're all set, just drop it in.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Jenn's advice is good.

Also, do you know what she was being fed before you got her? You might want to stick with exactly what she was used to until you know she is well settled in to her new home.

Being shy is definitely normal for hatchlings. As long as your temps and humidity are good, it may just be a matter of time until she feels comfortable enough to eat. Keep leaving her alone (other than tank maintenance) and offer her food once a week.
    Casey