Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 967

2 members and 965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Crazy Baby Ball

Thanks

Crazy Baby Ball

First, hello to the forum community, I'm a new member and a new owner of a Ball Python. I've had him for about a month and his name is Achilles

He is around 4 months old with beautiful "normal" colors and a great temperment.

Anyways, for the past week I've been observing him doing some odd things. First he is commonly fully stretched out and rarley in a ball, he hangs out in the little wood / silk plant forest I made for him instead of his lovley little wood cave and he stares at me all day just poking his head out of the foresty area.

Thats not really the weird part.. Some friends and I watched him twice now stick his head into his large water dish and submerge may be 4 inches of his body in to it, for a prolonged period of time, Then lift his head up as if he was done feeding and leave the area.

My heat ranges between 78 -84 and humidity of 35-45. Achilles also originates from Africa.

If anyone has any advice for me please post!
    Thanks in advance,

-Alan

If anyone

Thanks

Re: Crazy Baby Ball

It's typically considered abnormal for them to be very active during the day. Also, your temps are low. The warm side should be 90-94, cool 80-84. 75 or lower is risking a respiratory infection. The humidity should also be 50-60%, then up to 70-ish for shed times.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

All day being the literal day or his day? It's normal for them to be active at night. Not so much in the middle of the day. He could be stressed out.

Humidity seems a bit on the low side to me. Same with temps. I'm not sure if you mean the hot/cold sides are those temperatures or that's just generally what the temps are when you check them?

Try getting the ambient background temps to around 80 degrees and a basking spot around 90 degrees. I'd say get your humidity hanging around 50-60% until it's time to shed then aim for about 65-70% during that 1.5-2 week period.

How about some pics?

Thanks

your temps and humdity are too low, your humidity should be around 50%, upwards around 70% during shed, heat 90-92 on the hot basking side/spot, 80-84 on the cool side, how do you monitor your temps? do you have a thermostat? lol i idnt see everyone above me say the same thing

Thanks

OMG.

I'll get the temps and humidity up asap.

Then I'll post some pics. Thank you!