Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

0 members and 3,297 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Pacman, who's got em?

So... I'm not much of a frog person... but those little buggers are growing on me, and now here's the big favorite question. Who's got em, what do you like about them, and should I consider trying my hand at not killing a frog, but raising it LOL?

I think RET frogs are cool, but I think a pacman looks pretty awesome. Chris is starting to think about having one, plus the so called 'bark' that they do.

OK! Let's see em, who's got them!

Thanks

Re: Pacman, who's got em?

I had one for 2 years (female) I traded her for my pastel Ball python at the time I was not into frogs now I am and would get another one in a heart beat
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    You could learn a thing or two from Big Gunns. The first lesson being.....if you're gonna dish it, you better be ready to EAT IT!!!!!
    I do it for the lulz, nothing else.

Thanks

I have an albino pacman that is the size of a saucer plate. it is eating pinky mice. they are easy to care for, and make an eye catching family member. Mine is in my classroom with the rest of the pack (see sig.)

www.srreptiles.com

Quality ball pythons and educational programs

Banned
    Thanks

I used to own quite a few. They're hardy little frogs, and darn near impossible to kill. In my opinion, they're like little tanks! When they get to a larger size, watch your fingers when removing them from a cage. I have been bitten When you keep them...don't feed them vertebrate prey, other than a snack, or treat here or there every couple months. Some people feed them a main diet of mice and rats, just because they think its cool. Really all they're doing is killing the animals kidney and liver. It shortens the animals live substantially, when fed a main diet of rodents. They do much better on invertebrate prey. Mine flourished on roaches, butterworms, waxworms, and earthworms. Grew quite fast, to tell you the truth. They do bark, and boy do they do it well! They even growl! The bark sounds more like a quack, but it's hilarious! IMO, they're one of the hardiest, best frog species to care for, and keep. They don't require as strict a care (other than diet) than other frog species, as well as being more durable/less fragile. I'd go for it!

Here's some help to boot, on getting feeders, and containers for them.

Feeders-
    Armstrong Crickets
    Big Apple Herp, live feeders
    Fluker Farms
    LLL Reptile, live feeders
    Kelly Swift/Swift Invertebrates

Supplies-
    The Bean Farm
    Superior Enterprise
    LLL Reptile
    Big Apple Herp
    ProExotics
    Amazon Reptile Center Supplies I highly recommend the Invert Soil for them

Some tips to help with care. Keep them warmish, around 78-80F or so. Just don't let it creep too high (Over 81-82F or so)I highly recommend feeding roaches. Theyre more nutritional, and healthier for your frog, than crickets or meal worms. Butter Worms, and Waxworms are excellent feeders as well! The frogs seem to love them too. Lobster roaches, and Hissers, I've seen some of the best results with. Keep the cage humid, but not damp. Most people keep these frogs damp, or wet. I've noticed when this is done, they kind of develop skin sores, etc. Have a dish of clean water in the cage, for the animal to soak in when need be. Have the dish filled about a 3rd the animals height, with water. Don't use regular sink/tap water, as it contains chlorines, n such that will harm your frog, internally. Peat moss/Sphagnum moss, I've seen excellent results with. It keeps the frog healthy, and the habitat humid, without leaving the tank soggy, and damp. get your animal some naturalistic hiding spots...such as some bamboo shoots, or driftwood, that the animal can hide under/start a burrow under. Give them some cover as well, such as moss.

Well hopefully this jumbled mess helps out Good luck with your soon to be, new frog! They're definitely my favorite species to keep! Well worth the effort!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CeraDigital For This Useful Post:

DSGB (11-06-2008)

Thanks

I had one for a while and adored him! He was a nice high green, named Ozzie, and got about as big as a silver dollar before my lack of knowledge did him in. I thought they hibernated and so did not attend to him for about two months before I asked a knowing friend and found that he was 'trapped' in an unshed skin. I soaked him fast and got the skin off... but the lack of nutrition and oxygen had been too much.

I fed my guy mostly inverts with the occasional feeder fish for variety and amusement. It was so fun watching him hunt those fish.
    I miss him, but don't trust myself, or the cold and dry of CO, enough to get another one...
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/.../6/monster.jpg

This was my "Monster", He loved burrowing and his occasional mouse.. He would be vocal at night while I sat at my desk. Other than burrowing there wasn't much he would do. Only way he would eat is if the groceries hopped or crawled past. Since I lost him I've been thinking of getting another. He would bark at me when I went to pick him up. So cute.

Banned
    Thanks

Awww, I'm sorry for both your losses! They are definitely incredible frogs to keep!

Thanks

Wow, thanks everybody, esp Andrew, that's a ton of info! I may have to pic one up at the next show!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    Peat moss/Sphagnum moss, I've seen excellent results with. It keeps the frog healthy, and the habitat humid, without leaving the tank soggy, and damp. get your animal some naturalistic hiding spots...such as some bamboo shoots, or driftwood, that the animal can hide under/start a burrow under. Give them some cover as well, such as moss.
    I heard sphagnum moss would mold if kept in there all the time damp. Is there a good time limit before throwing out the old stuff? Or is it alright if it's left in there all the time?

Banned
    Thanks

I changed the bedding every month or so. It may be a bit moist, but you don't leave it really damp, soggy, or wet. Ontop of the mold, and mildew problem, it would need changed every month or so, due to waste, the animal excretes. Those toxins, and wastes would be absorbed through the animals skin, if left in contact with them...so a clean cage will leave you with a healthy animal

I've never really noticed much of a problem with mold...I was more concerned with the frog always packing Sphagnum to one side of the cage On that note, when you do pick up your frog, I like to give them around 4" or so of bedding. They are burrowers, and really appreciate the extra bedding. Oh yeah...Get an Albino They're gorgeous! lol.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast