Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,143

0 members and 2,143 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: how do i....

Thanks

how do i....

how do i switch from live rats to pr-killed ones, and why is pr-killed safer and what does "FEEDING LIVE PREY RESPONSIVELY"to a ball python mean?

Thanks

Re: how do i....

If you want to switch, just offer the P/K rat to your snake on feeding day. Some snakes won't have any problem switching over and others need a little work. Just grasp the rat behind its neck and dangle it a few inches in front of your snake. It might help if you pre-scent the room about 15 minutes before feeding and you can also try warming the head of the rat under a lamp before introducing it to your snake.

There are pros and cons to every feeding method whether it's live, F/T or P/K. The most obvious reason why live is considered safer is because the rat can't harm your snake, although if done responsibly that isn't a very big risk. "Feeding live prey responsibly" simply means feeding an appropriately sized rat and monitoring the feeding. If your snake doesn't show interest after 10 minutes, remove the prey and try again in a week. Most of the horror stories you read about regarding live prey harming the snake are because people will leave the rat or mouse in the snakes cage overnight or even over several days.

Occasionally a rat or mouse will bite the snake while its being constricted. If that happens, make sure you clean the wound and apply an antibiotic ointment or seek vet care if it looks severe.

-Lawrence

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMP210 View Post
    why is pr-killed safer and what does "FEEDING LIVE PREY RESPONSIVELY"to a ball python mean?

Be observant. Pay attention. Don't leave the animal alone with a rodent for long, as the rodents have LONG sharp teeth and can and will defend themselves in the throws of death.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMP210 View Post
    how do i switch from live rats to pr-killed ones, and why is pr-killed safer and what does "FEEDING LIVE PREY RESPONSIVELY"to a ball python mean?
    Live feeding can be done safely if done responsibly which mean

Never leave a prey un-attended in the enclosure
    Supervise feeding
    Feed an appropriate size prey

To switch you need to make sure the prey is warm enough, you will probably have to dangle the prey in front of your BP as well (use a pair of tongs)

Try and see what happen, it can take time to switch to P/K or F/T; also keep in mind that some won’t so you will need to be prepared to feed live in case your BP does not switch at all.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Theres another part of "feeding responsibly" I haven't seen mentioned yet - the treatment given to the feeder animal ( before and during) and the attitudes involved in respect of how they colour the perceptions of non herpers and their legislators (sp?).

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Very good point, Derek. I know I've sometimes been viewed as a bit stuck on this subject but I do think there is sometimes a distinct lack of knowledge and respect (which can translate into poor care given) to the rodents that are the single most important item sustaining life in our valued snakes. You can provide the most perfect housing set up ever created, but if you don't provide a top quality feeder rodent, your snake is simply not going to do as well as it should.

I don't think anyone needs to make a pet of breeder/feeder rodents if they don't want to, or baby what is a breeding group after all but I do find it sad when people post with obvious disregard for the vital role a feeder rat or mouse plays in the continuing good health of their snakes.

Making choices about the feeder animal, whether that is walking away from a filthy pet store feeder bin, or spending a few extra bucks to go with an f/t supplier who actually sends you plump, clean, well packaged frozen rats or caring for your breeder/feeder colony responsibly are, for me, just another facet of good husbandry decisions. I believe firmly that junk in equals junk out. I've never seen how feeding a snake a cruddy, under-norished animal is going to get you a vital, healthy snake.

Mike and I know, were it not for the efforts of our rat colony, we could not feed our snakes or even afford the numbers of snakes we keep. In that, we appreciate our rats, we do spoil the breeders somewhat and do retire our favorites. It's not much to do really in exchange for what they contribute daily to our family's love of snakes.
    ~~Joanna~~