Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,642

0 members and 2,642 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

55 Gallon Tank How to Heat Test

I want to see if anyone can figure out this problem and come up with a solution. There is a 55 gallon glass vivarium. It cannot be heated with over light or heating because all means of such have been used and because of the depth of the tank even a spot light or a 200 watt ceramic bulb will heat the substrate and as we all know it is the substrate that needs to be heated not the air. Also under the tank heating has been used and do to the amount of bedding that needs to be used a heat pad will not provide enough heat. Extra bedding cannot be removed because it is used to create humidity and the level of that are also extremely low because of the depth and sheer size of this. This person cannot afford to buy another tank so this is the one was have to work with. What would you do to solve this problem? Think of it as a math problem for a herper.

Thanks

Re: 55 Gallon Tank How to Heat Test

First off you didn't mention if the top of the tank is covered and how. Even a CHE will heat a 55gal provided all the heat isn't escaping out the top. You can also insulate the side and back walls (Reflectix or actuall insulation will work).

An UTH will heat the substrate up (and it doesn't need to be that deep - just enough to absorb urates and stuff) - use other methods to increase the humidity (larger water bowl - and again is the tank is covered properly the humidity will build and stay)

I used to have a 55 gal for my JCP and I only used a CHE and a UTH to heat it and it was spot on...but the top was almost completed covered and the sides were insulated.

Hope this helps
    Sean

Thanks

covered with a screen and wrapped in Saran Wrap with the exception of some small holes over the hide box. Also the UTH heater is only getting the substrate to the mid 70's and the substrate in this situation needs to stay at the level where it is. Like I said this is sort of like a math problem and I want to see who can come up with the best ideas working with the parameters that I set and thank you Jackel for pointing out that I left out the topper I know that makes a big difference. The Relectix insulation is a great idea.
    Last edited by FL0OD; 01-22-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would put the snake in a rubbermaid container, clean the 55gal tank up really good, take it to my nearest pet store and trade it for a 20gal long. Set the 20gal up with all the accessories you already have and you should be good to go. Most people think the bigger the tank the better, this is not true. You want your BP to have tons of room to crawl around, the BP doesn't want that. He wants to feel cramped and secure, the less open space the better. Remember in the wild they spend 90% of their time crammed in a hole in the ground they can barely fit in. Hit some websites and look at the husbandry recommended for BP's.

Thanks

funny. I was hoping that some one would be trying to think of some thing innovative here. Secondly there are two balls in this tank just to throw some thing else into the mix. They are life partners.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FL0OD View Post
    Secondly there are two balls in this tank just to throw some thing else into the mix. They are life partners.
    *head desk*

Having two BP's in the same enclosure is BAD for many many many reasons. Also BP's are not penguins and do NOT have life partners.

Thanks

hahaha. these have bred three years in a row and produced at least 6-10 eggs each year I think they are fine.

Thanks

Whatever do how you want, but probably 10-15 more posts will chime in to say the same thing to you. Give it a few hours.

Thanks

thats fine. people read books or some one tells them some thing and they are experts. i recently posted a question to some top breeders on what kind of substrate was best for incubating eggs, just as a question, and not even one of them gave me the same answer. you have to do what works for you and your animals. these two, and I have four, were placed together one year during a breeding season. after she laid her eggs about three months later we put him back in and he stayed. she produced eggs again that next year. since then he is in with her all the time up until a month or so before she lays her eggs. thats what works for them. this is totally off topic now. i was hoping that some one could come up with an idea for this tank situation not get into a conversation about breeding and who does what. lets move back to that.

Thanks

Wasn't a breeding issue, its a husbandry issue. Since I've already expressed my views I will try and help your problem.

Why don't you get either a few pieces of flexwatt or you can buy those expensive Zoomeds pads. I would personally go for all UTHeating, because 55g are 18 or 24" high? You really don't need to bother heating all that dead air if the snake lives on the substrate.

If I were doing it I would have 2 separate heating pads (either strip of flexwatt or heat pad) on 1 Thermostat, both running cool side temps of 80-84 degrees. Put on a the cold side and one in the middle.

Add a third heating pad and have it on a separate T-stat and have it on one side around 90-95 degrees.

That would give you your heat gradient and won't destroy your humidity.

Then I would also consider separating your snakes, since they get no benefit to living with other snakes, and only get the negatives of living with other snakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast