Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

2 members and 2,931 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

My first BP ever!

This is my new BP, just got himm yesterday so hes been hiding. He seems to be a good eater he ate a mouse in the box when I was driving him back to my house from the pet store.

This is a picture of his setup:

Once he gets used to his cage some more I will take him out and post some new pics.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Re: My first BP ever!

Am I reading correctly that he ate in a box on the way home? Congrats on the new bp. The temp on the digital thermometer is reading 105F. That is wayyy to hot. It may be because it's so close to the red heat lamp. Are you using a digital with a probe to monitor the warm side temps? The analog dial will prove useless to you, so I would recommend going all digital. You can also pick up a temp gun from proexotics.com for as low as $15. Good luck to you, and congrats again.
    --Walt

Thanks

Re: My first BP ever!

Hey man. Grats. Post a pic of the BP

Here are few tips: scrap the analog one and get a thermometer with a probe. Use that for the warmer side, and stick the digital dual-gauge one at the bottom of the cooler side.

Temps for warmer should be 90-94 while cooler should be 80-84. 79-85 is fine too lol.

Make sure your humidity is at least 50% and in the range of 50-60. If its over 60 that's fine too, let it go down a bit. I'd recommend using some other water dish because the BP is likely to knock it over. But one thing you can do is dig into the substrate and stick it in there, that way it's kinda like a hot tub lol

Oh and scrap that half-log hide. He will never use it. Or at least press one end to the glass and cover it with some post-its.

Finally, you should buy some foam board, cut and cover all sides except the front side. For the top cut out two small squares for the lamps. AND PUt something on it, like the mister because they will bend out from the heat. The foam boards will 1) Keep the moisture in, 2) Keep the heat balanced 3) provide more security for the snake.

All these tips are minor improvements but they will help the snake.

Good luck, and do post some more pics
    1.0 Normal (Buddy)