Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,763

1 members and 2,762 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Feeding after shed

Well, despite all of my heating and humidity woes, Foster managed to complete her shed. Other than maybe an inch of the tip of her tail, it was all in once piece! YIPEE!! It was awesome looking at the shed. I had no idea that you would be able to see the eye caps or whatever you want to call it. What an awesome find!!

Anyhow, I was wondering if she would eat after a shed or should we hold off on offering her prey for any length of time. She was out and about about a half hour ago but she is now in her other hide, the opposite one she shed in.

I'm probably asking a stupid question but I hate to waste another F/T. If she doesn't eat it, is it ok to save it (refreeze) or should it be tossed?

And, I plan to offer her two fuzzies since one is not enough. How long should I wait in between?

I've looked for answers to my questions but have not found any yet. I'm sorry if they are available and i just didn't look hard enough.

Thanks!!
    Tanya

Thanks

Re: Feeding after shed

in my experience BPs LOVE to eat after a shed. throw it in there and find out. you can refreeze, i only do it once though.

good luck.

Thanks

It's typically recommended not to feed during shed due to a brief phase of pretty much blindness, and the fact that the BP is already stressed out enough. After shed, the stress level is pretty much back to normal.

Here's some info from the Non-Breeding feeder FAQ:

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=31105

5. Can I re-freeze a prey item that wasn’t eaten?

You can refreeze a fully thawed prey item if you do so within a short period of time. If the thawed item has been left overnight and uneaten, it is best to throw it away as it will have already started to decompose. Some refrozen prey items (especially pinks) will be more likely to have weakened belly skin so take care when re-using those. Separate and mark all refrozen prey items for next week's feeding. If they are unused again, dispose of them as repeated freezing will degrade the quality of your snake's food.
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GirDance View Post
    It's typically recommended not to feed during shed due to a brief phase of pretty much blindness, and the fact that the BP is already stressed out enough. After shed, the stress level is pretty much back to normal.

Other than maybe an inch of the tip of her tail, she had a nice complete shed.

The F/T is being thawed as we speak. Thanks for the super quick responses. It's great to know that I can count on you guys while I learn!! ;o)

Thanks

All my 07s eat during their shed cycle, they never miss a meal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hey Tonya,

I just fed my BP a few nights ago and in the morning I found her shed!!! How big is your BP? A larger size prey may be in order.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Hey Tonya,

I just fed my BP a few nights ago and in the morning I found her shed!!! How big is your BP? A larger size prey may be in order.
    I don't have a scale for her yet but I am aware that she needs larger pray, that's why I am going to offer her two fuzzies...because we already had them. I think there will be one fuzzie left. The next time I'll be sure to buy larger prey. I was just going by what the pet store told me. I know now that it wasn't the best advice. I'm learning, thanks to this site.

Feeding two fuzzies will be ok, won't it. I actually have three of them but I would think that giving her three would be too much. Or, do you think differently?

Thanks

if its a youngster you are always better feeding it smaller prey than things that are to big. smaller portions are always fine. that one time you get some thing to big and it stresses out you may have a youngster that does not eat for months or weeks. i have four to adults and to youngsters and i always feed them multiple smaller portions and my adult have never refused food in the 6 years i have had them.

Thanks

Fuzzy mice or fuzzy rats (big size difference)?

When feeding multiple prey items just make sure she's got it down past the skinny neck part and then offer #2.

As far as feeding during shed, some will eat, some won't and since they are not primarily sight hunters, they really aren't all that compromised during the time they are in blue. We just offer every week, same night of the week and those that want to eat while in shed, do...and those that don't, get offered the next week right on schedule.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I've fed during slough once by accident, darwin hides out for a week or so preshed and I missed the blueeye stage, tossed in a rat and next day had a very cranky python, with a stuck slough over the bulge, I had to carefully assist with small scissors.
    Didnt harm him any but stressed him out definately.
    I try to avoid it, meals dont come on schedual in the wild anyway, so if its preslough, i skip the meal, till next time, or feed a few days after.
    I dont regulate feeds at all, might be two weeks, might be three or four, then 2 weeks again.
    Works for me.
    Reptile Planet
    http://inny.ipbfree.com/index.php?
    Global Reptile Enthusiasts Forum, Come Share Your
    Passion With us!