Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

0 members and 2,970 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Do you stay in touch with your snakes' ex-keeper(s)?

I think the title says it all.

Do you, or have you, stayed in touch with your bps' ex-keeper(s)?

I ask this as I have several adopted bps, and several bps that I purchased from breeders.

A few of my adoptions, I would consider rescues, but mostly I consider them adoptions. I think we throw out the term rescue a bit too much with adopted herps.

The rescued bps I keep as far away from the original owners as possible, but with the adoptees I have been fortunate to have a few people who have stayed in touch, and therefore I have been able to touch base as I progress with the snake(s).

Having a receptive ex-keeper that I know I can contact and ask questions regarding that particular snakes yearly "cycle" has been a great fallback. We can only learn so much about the snake in the time it takes to finalize the rehoming.

Same with having a good breeder. Knowing I can contact someone and get tips regarding what worked for that snake, or what the practices in general are at the facility, has been a crucial factor in whether or not I would purchase again.

Just curious as to what others' experiences have been.

Bruce

PS: This came to mind when I contacted my two adult siblings' ex-keeper to ask about the male's winter feeding patterns. I recieved a gracious response thanking me for being attentive to them, providing appropriate husbandry, and commending my decision to breed one but not the other.

It felt good.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Re: Do you stay in touch with your snakes' ex-keeper(s)?

I talk to my snakes breeders all the time!

Thanks

Same here! It has helped me and my breeder as I bought his 66% hets for VPI Axanthic and helped him prove them out when I bred them to my VPI visual Axanthics. Not to mention it gives a your snakes a credible backgroud genetic lineage to show if you decide to sellJMHO
    Repti-Rob

“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.”
    W. C. Fields

1.1 VPI Axanthic BP (Jack&Samantha), 1.1 100% het for Jolliff Clown BP (Napoleon&Hathor),0.1 Pastel nerd line BP (Pascal),0.1 Pastel BP (no name),0.0.8 BP Hatchlings from my breedings, 0.1 Retic Python (she's about 12' right now) ,1.1 Kenya sand boas (Sandy&Dusty)
    1.0 Ring Tailed Lemur (Alexander) my baby boy

Thanks

My first BP was given to me by a good friend who was moving from GA to Maryland to be closer to his family. We keep in touch of course cause we're good friends. Another one i adopted i would never want to talk to those people again considering the condition they kept him in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Btw...

I love the sig.

I may start carrying a small snake on me all the time. Well, moreso than usual.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Registered User Fenderplayer104's Avatar
    Thanks

I just purchased my fist bp and i ask my breeder via email almost every week on how to do somthing or the other or how he did somethin he is very helpful and i only got the snake for 25 dollars and he treats me if i spent a couple thousand i would gladly buy from this breeder agian.

Thanks

You betcha!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

i keep in touch with some of them.. one of my "rescues" came from some bad people though, and i would never dream of keeping in touch with them.. they could care less about the snake i got from them though, so i doubt it bothers them!

i've had 2 snakes come to me because their owners couldn't keep them anymore (i was only keeping them here for a temp. home, since the owners needed the snakes gone asap) i found 2 really good people to take each of the snakes and i get updates from them all the time! the previous owners of the snakes never contact me, but i still make sure their snakes have nice homes.

Thanks

Well, I do keep in touch regularly with the store owner of the place I got Nagini and Mystic from since he's also my 'pre vet' consultant on herp health.

As for other rescue or adopted animals I've had, it all depends on the circumstances of why I got the animal. If it was to help the person out, then I certainly would stay in touch. If I was getting the animal away from bad conditions, I would never want to see that person again.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Really depends on the situation Bruce. With the breeder purchased snakes I keep in contact as that's one of the best benefits of purchasing from a good breeder.

For the rescues/adoptions it depends on the situation. I've had some I've emailed back and forth with afterwards and they were happy to hear their snake was doing well. I've had others that I was so concerned about future problems with the ex-owner that I had them sign over their snake to us in writing to avoid them coming back later to try and "re-claim" their now healthy snake.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast