Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,997

1 members and 2,996 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

But they don't climb...!

Or so I've heard.

I came downstairs to get a drink of water and a midnight muffin (that isn't a euphemism) when I chanced to see Salzedo doing some acrobatics with the AcuRite probe wire I keep anchored to the back of his viv with a small suction cup.

Fortunately I had my camera on hand and was able to snap a few shots of his more interesting maneuvers. And yes, that is his tail perched on top of his cold hide for better balance.

As cute as this was, I was concerned about him getting entangled in the wire, so I gave it some slack so he could no longer use it as a climbing perch. "That's that" I thought, putting the camera away. But Salzedo had other plans. Right in front of me (the brazen little scamp) I watch him examine the newly slackened wire for a moment and then turn around to climb on the other wire, attached to his thermostat probe!

I've since removed the suction cup anchors and given each wire enough slack so that it can not possibly be used as a climbing implement. I swear Salzedo gave me a dirty look when I slid the triple-locking top back on his viv, and he is now using the tops of his hides for leverage in exploring the heights of the enclosure.

The funny thing is that one of the reasons I picked him over his siblings is because while the others were balled up tight in their display cases, Salzedo was uncurled and actively 'exploring' the top of his. Oh boy... now, if this is Sal at 3 months, I can only imagine 1 year. hehe.

PS: Pictures were taken at night using a flash only, sorry if some are dark. Oh, and the AcuRight in his viv is just there as a humidity reader. I am getting an Exo Terra humastat with remote probe next week.

Thanks

Re: But they don't climb...!

Yikes!! What an acrobat!!
    And so, I have a question: I use indented kraft paper on the bottom of my cages and wonder what is the safest way to 'store' the temp wires? This is not an issue on the racks of course, but the cages..... I guess I might still worry that even with lots of slack these crazy herps could get tangled up. What do you think?

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

LOL! When I saw those pics, the first thing that popped into my mind is Tarzan.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Hypo Columbian Red Tail Boa

Thanks

My oldest male when I first got him. I had him in a tank and he would wrap around the highest point on the branch. Like a GTP, he use to climb all over. About the AcuRite probes. If your to worried about him getting caught in the wires. I just picked up another AcuRite with the probes the other day. I noticed they have wireless ones now. Not sure how good they work or anything like that. It might be something to check out. I seen them at the local Walmart.