Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

1 members and 2,819 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Introducing a New Method for Enforcing TOS/Site Rules

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I guess I would have hoped that we as a society have evolved beyond this kind of spectacle. Will people see this more as a punishment for those who break the rules or as an entertainment for the onlookers? My personal viewpoint remains that I see very little positive benefit for airing our dirty laundry in public. About the ONLY benefit that I see to this would be as a way for those of us that are not moderators or admins to judge for ourselves whether or not the new rules are being applied fairly across the board, but I'm unsure if that single benefit would outweigh the stigma of what amounts to being placed in a virtual pillory.

Mark
    I see where your coming from Mark, i can only assume the reason behind it is to alert members of a repeat offender, so your less likely to involve yourself with them......total speculation and i could be completely wrong.

**hate to use this as an example, but just think about fauna, you see guys over there with bright red blocks, or warning! I really don't understand there rep system, but you get the idea that this person could potentially start a problem.
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

everyone says that the site is growing sooo fast. i am just cuerious if there is a way to see how many people posted more than 5 times in the past month. i know the member list is huge. but as i look through there i havent ever seen 90% of those people post. i personally have 3 user names in there. the old two were never taken down after i told the mods if i could get a new user name. but seriously i would love to see if there is a way to see how many people posted more than 5 times in the past month. i doubt it would be more than 500 users.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

i just did some looking just the first page of members. there are 50 members on that page. there are only roughly 15 that have posted out of that 50 in the past month. and more than 1/2 have not posted in more than a year.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES View Post
    i just did some looking just the first page of members. there are 50 members on that page. there are only roughly 15 that have posted out of that 50 in the past month. and more than 1/2 have not posted in more than a year.
    If it helps at all, the click through rate from my banners on the forum (and links in my sig) has increased dramatically since I started running them a couple years ago ... and in the last two months, the numbers are up by an order of magnitude. From those stats alone it looks very much to me like there's been a signifigant jump maybe not in active posters, but definitely with people "lurking".

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Matt, even if you take your sampling of the first 50 (which statistically isn't nearly enough to base a theory on but we'll stick with that for now).

We have almost 6,500 registered users. If only 15 in every 50 actually are active (which I'm not saying in any way is an actual representation), then using your own sampling that would reflect almost 2,000 active users.

Think for a moment what it takes to manage the needs of 2,000 individuals with 2,000 different opinions, 2,000 different levels of experience, 2,000 different personalities......
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

i will go through and add all of them up in the next day or two.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

If it helps at all, the click through rate from my banners on the forum (and links in my sig) has increased dramatically since I started running them a couple years ago ... and in the last two months, the numbers are up by an order of magnitude. From those stats alone it looks very much to me like there's been a signifigant jump maybe not in active posters, but definitely with people "lurking".
    Adam, you don't need to be a member to read most of these forums, so do you get a breakdown of clicks on your banners telling you if people were logged in or not logged in? Or is it just a total number of clicks? It may not be germane to the discussion, but I'd be curious to know if you get a lot of clicks from people who may never post here. I would imagine the number of lurkers here is high, but you don't need to be a member to lurk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    Mark, I hate to sound like the meanie, but I think public humiliation is a great tool. Especially if one is forewarned that public hmiliation is a punishment for their actions in blatent disreguard for the posted rules. Sometimes it will make others think twicw before they type. Sometimes it doesn't matter either way.
    This place is hardly public, for one. Second: When do we move to corporal punishment? The tighter it gets, the more lousy in my opinion.
    -Camp

0.0.1 Normal
    0.1 Spider

"...and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

you have to be kidding me. we just got the rep point system working. now that people have to put there name on neg reps they have gone down. so you are looking for a new way of weeding out people. when does it stop when there is 15 different ways of getting banned. now not only does someone have to watch there rep points they have to watch this now to. i say get rid of it all and lets just talk snakes.
    I Second that! When does it stop?
    -Camp

0.0.1 Normal
    0.1 Spider

"...and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Adam, you don't need to be a member to read most of these forums, so do you get a breakdown of clicks on your banners telling you if people were logged in or not logged in? Or is it just a total number of clicks? It may not be germane to the discussion, but I'd be curious to know if you get a lot of clicks from people who may never post here. I would imagine the number of lurkers here is high, but you don't need to be a member to lurk.
    Unfortunately, I don't have that data ... but my intention wasn't to speak about the number of registered users on the site ... just it's growth overall.

For whatever it's worth, now that I've been runnning my own forum one of the lessons that I've learned is that moderation/administration is not only about the people that are active on the site, it's also about making the forums a comfortable and friendly place for the people who just choose to watch and learn. It's one of those great "customer service" things ... finding that happy medium that works for all of your "customers". But heck, I know ball pythons way better than I know forums and junks, so take my babbling with a grain of salt.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast