Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 624

1 members and 623 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Introducing a New Method for Enforcing TOS/Site Rules

It is what it is.
    You have to have some means to keep order so it doesn't become a free for all.
    No big whup if your doing what your suppose to be doing and being respectful.
    Sometimes some people ( and I mean NO ONE in particular ) need to be reeled in.
    This site has grown since back in the day and it is still an awesome site and I don't see the new rules affecting or changing that.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

Im not to thrilled with it either. But I see where it could help for sure!! I'm just worried that we I'll have a whole bunch of banned people... Lol!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I guess I'm personally not too wild about that part of it. I've never been a great believer in public humiliation as a tool for punishment.
    Mark, I hate to sound like the meanie, but I think public humiliation is a great tool. Especially if one is forewarned that public hmiliation is a punishment for their actions in blatent disreguard for the posted rules. Sometimes it will make others think twicw before they type. Sometimes it doesn't matter either way.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

you have to be kidding me. we just got the rep point system working. now that people have to put there name on neg reps they have gone down. so you are looking for a new way of weeding out people. when does it stop when there is 15 different ways of getting banned. now not only does someone have to watch there rep points they have to watch this now to. i say get rid of it all and lets just talk snakes.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

I feel a bit torn.

Negative reps, positive reps, but at the same time I think that if you are participating, being proactive, and not violating the TOS, which are clearly stated, then it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Sometime i wonder if BP net has a bit too much access to personal info, etc. But maybe that is part of managing a site this large. I haven't ever done it, so I won't criticize.

I also haven't been here for the recent ***** storms* either, but was witness to them on a very active forum, that has all but shut down as there wasn't much intervention or means to control the abusive and defensive posters.

So I guess... yeah... you know the politics best, and good luck finding a system that helps maintain order and reinforce the sense of community that we are all hoping for.

TOS and standards of behvaviours are no accidents, they are there for a reason.

Bruce
    Last edited by BP.net Staff; 01-13-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: language
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

I guess you have to do what you have to do. Things start to get out of hand when a site gets this big and there are still a few number of staff. I understand the dilemma. You can't babysit every member and every post!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I don't see any issue with it.
    Rep points, these new points, and the regular modding.. none of which come into play if you follow the rules.
    In an ideal world, every member would be nice, never start problems, never continue problems, and only chat about snake stuff and have fun.
    In reality, there's always some people who want to act like butts, want to skirt the rules, or try to get away with whatever bad behavior they can. If this makes it easier for staff to moderate the site, then it's a good thing.
    I'm not sure how it's supposed to be a bad thing?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Introducing a New Method for Enforcing TOS/Site Rules

I think it could be a great thing if it's thought out. If you look at the 3 or 4 major things that make other sites suck and make rules against being one of those asshat posters, this site will be able to grow while maintaining the integrity it has always had. This site is blowing up, and I think once Judy, and maybe even Adam, are forever in the Reptile Radio archives, this will be the go to site for everyone who has an internet connection and is interested in ball pythons. With a ton of users comes a bunch of trolls and idiots. If the rules are clearly posted and are meant to prevent this site from turning into 100 p!ssing matches every day, nothing should change for the present BP.net community. I don't know what the new rules will be, but as long as it's thought out to try and avoid the problems other bigger sites face, then rock on. I doubt they will be too much about being big brother on an ego trip, and I'd hate to see this site turn into another constant royal rumble of retarded slap boxers, trolls and Star Wars forum battles.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mark, I hate to sound like the meanie, but I think public humiliation is a great tool.
    I guess I would have hoped that we as a society have evolved beyond this kind of spectacle. Will people see this more as a punishment for those who break the rules or as an entertainment for the onlookers? My personal viewpoint remains that I see very little positive benefit for airing our dirty laundry in public. About the ONLY benefit that I see to this would be as a way for those of us that are not moderators or admins to judge for ourselves whether or not the new rules are being applied fairly across the board, but I'm unsure if that single benefit would outweigh the stigma of what amounts to being placed in a virtual pillory.

Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES View Post
    you have to be kidding me. we just got the rep point system working. now that people have to put there name on neg reps they have gone down. so you are looking for a new way of weeding out people. when does it stop when there is 15 different ways of getting banned. now not only does someone have to watch there rep points they have to watch this now to. i say get rid of it all and lets just talk snakes.

lol, It takes a lot to get banned from bp.net, you have to blatantly want to get banned. If your receiving multiple neg rep points something is wrong. If people would just come here and hang out, and JUST talk snakes none of this would have even come up. It's the babysitting that are making the mods and admins do this. They are tired of it. Since I've never been a mod or admin, i can't really speak on how they feel, but i have a pretty good idea. When rules are set, and broken repeatedly, something has to be done. WE are not all over 18 here, and it's only right to abide by the rules! ----i highly doubt that want to ban anybody, they don't get anything out of it....it's not fun-----they don't get a bonus for it---------

well this is just my 2 pennies.........
    Tyree
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast