Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,055

4 members and 3,051 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Introducing a New Method for Enforcing TOS/Site Rules

As most of you are aware, our little site has grown by leaps and bounds. New members are joining our community faster and in greater numbers than ever before. Due to this exploding population and greatly increased rate of new posts and threads, it is becoming necessary for the Staff to adjust how we enforce our TOS/Rules.

We are now implementing a new method that we're calling the Infraction System. This is a set list of Infractions, each with a pre-determined number of points associated with it. When a member breaks the rules, they will be assigned an Infraction for that post by a Staff member (mod or admin).

There are no consequences for an individual infraction, but an accumulation of points will lead to a 30-day ban, and eventually to a permanent ban. The details of this System are spelled out in the Announcement at the top of this forum. Please read through that.

The Staff has worked tremendously hard to find ways to adjust to our rapid growth, and for now, this is what we have determined to be the best method. Please bear in mind that this is a completely new tool for us, and we will have to learn to use it. Our staff is human, and may make mistakes as we learn to work with this. Don't get angry if you feel you've received an unjust Infraction. ALL Infractions are subject to appeal. Send a PM to any admin (iceman25, JLC, rabernet, mlededee) and we will look into it. The Infractions, their points, and the penalties associated with them are subject to change as we see how they work.

The faster we grow, and the larger we grow, the harder it is to maintain that open, friendly and welcoming environment that we all hold dear. A consistent and firm application of our TOS/Rules, will be essential in keeping up. But even more important than that, will be the community itself...each of us willing to hold ourselves to a high standard and not be inclined to turn this site into a personal playground or venue for petty vendettas. It's our community that makes us so special. Not our rules.

A note on QT:
    Most of you are familiar with the Quaratine Room. (If not, shoot a PM to a staff member and ask!) The original intent of the QT Room was to allow a place for heated discussions without interfering with the friendly atmosphere of the public forums. It was never intended to be a "free for all" place with no rules. The rules of the site still apply in there. Infractions can and will be assessed in there, as needed. More details about how the Infraction System works in QT will be added in a stickied thread there soon.

A note on Moderated Members:
    A few members have been placed on "Moderated Status" due to either negative reps, or a consistent inability to follow the rules. While this allowed the staff to keep consistently inflamitory or offensive posts from appearing from certain members...it also put the burden of THEIR behavior on OUR shoulders. Once on moderated status, the only consequence to an infraction of the rules was having their post edited or deleted.

This will no longer be the case. Each and every member will be responsible for their own behavior. If a member simply cannot abide by the rules they agreed to when registering here, then they will not be able to participate here.

Those on Moderated Status will no longer be so....but they will receive a "head start" of Infraction Points, based on their past history of participation and inability to follow the rules.

In Conclusion:
    I know this has been a very long post to wade through. I'm sorry. I'm almost done! Just a couple more misc points I want to make.

-- The Infraction System only works with posts made in the forums. Abuses of the rep system will continue to be handled as they always have been. Abuses of the PM system will be handled separately as well. The Infraction System is not the only means of enforcing the rules.

-- The System is still "in the works" and will continue to change and evolve as we work with it. But the basic foundation of it is solid and ready to go.

-- Members will NOT receive retroactive Infraction Points (except as listed for moderated members above). No posts made before this announcement will be hit. But once this announcement "goes live" every member, no matter how long-standing, no matter their post count or reputation score, is accountable for their own behavior and abiding by the rules of the Site.

-- While it may seem similar in some ways, our Infraction System is NOT like Fauna's.

-- This thread will be left open for the time being, for technical questions or any needed clarification. Our methods are not open for debate, though. We have thought long and hard about this and discussed it until our fingers were falling off from typing so much and eyes bleeding from reading it all. This is what we will be doing for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure there's more to say on the matter, but I've already said more than most will read, I fear.... THANK YOU for taking the time to do so and for taking a commited interest in the well being of Ball-Pythons.net.

--Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Introducing a New Method for Enforcing TOS/Site Rules

Reminds me of when John Belushi was on double secret probation in "Animal House"(classic).

Not trying to make fun Judy, just thought it was funny.

You guys got your hands full with everything going on here.
    You have my full support

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Haha! Thanks, Raul!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Where will these points be posted? Will they be visible to others or just mods/admins?

The TOS says that the points will fade with time, I'm guessing this is similar to time off for good behavior? Is there a set amount of points that will fade per month or is this arbitrary? Will this be automatic or would it need the attention of a moderator to manually erase the infraction points?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Where will these points be posted? Will they be visible to others or just mods/admins?

The TOS says that the points will fade with time, I'm guessing this is similar to time off for good behavior? Is there a set amount of points that will fade per month or is this arbitrary? Will this be automatic or would it need the attention of a moderator to manually erase the infraction points?
    We're working on a way to make a member's total points visible under their avatar with their post count and rep boxes...but that is not a built-in part of the software and will have to be customized if possible.

Currently, it is set so that if/when a post receives an infraction, all members will be able to see it and click on it to see the details. It'll show up as a big red box in the bottom right of the text window (to the right of the Quote buttons).

Each infraction has a set "fade" time and it will be automatic.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

We're working on a way to make a member's total points visible under their avatar with their post count and rep boxes...but that is not a built-in part of the software and will have to be customized if possible.

Currently, it is set so that if/when a post receives an infraction, all members will be able to see it and click on it to see the details. It'll show up as a big red box in the bottom right of the text window (to the right of the Quote buttons).
    I guess I'm personally not too wild about that part of it. I've never been a great believer in public humiliation as a tool for punishment.

Thanks

If we are displaying Infraction points then Rep points should be shown also. Just showing the Infractions points just adds to Mark's case of public humiliation.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    If we are displaying Infraction points then Rep points should be shown also. Just showing the Infractions points just adds to Mark's case of public humiliation.
    Here you go Jeff - here's the guide to see what level of reputation points someone has when you hover over their green or red boxes. It's in the sticky here in the Site Info on Reputation points.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=32121

POINTS..........MOUSE-OVER TEXT

-26 - * .............Is not long for this site
    -11--25 ............Needs to learn some social skills
    0--10 ...............Is rocking the boat

1-5 ..................Might want to think before posting
    6-15 ................Is off to a great start
    16-25 ...............Is learning and growing
    26-50 ...............Is a face we're always glad to see
    51-75 ...............Is a community asset
    76-100 ..............Is doing things the right way
    101-125 ............Is making friends and influencing people
    126-150 ............Is a hellacious helpful herper
    151-175 ............Is building a stronger community
    176-200 ............Is a friend indeed
    201-225 ............Is always seeking ways to help
    226-250 ............Always has a helping hand
    251-300 ............Is always there when you need them
    301-350 ............Can't wait to help
    351-400 ............Is someone we look up to
    401-450 ............Is true blue
    451-500 ............Is a hero to millions
    501 + ................Sets an example for us all
    Last edited by JLC; 01-18-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: updating reputation point table that was quoted

Thanks

Looks like big brother just got bigger.... I like the fact that they are searching for a way for the average joe to see how "bad" people are by having this "detention" number posted with your avatar......

Hmm....
    -Camp

0.0.1 Normal
    0.1 Spider

"...and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I realy like that system you have present. im an activ member on a Norwegian forum (Reptilfreaks.no) an when we get as big like this forum, maby we most think about something like this. we are 2148 members. (im not a admin or mod)

will take the opportunity say i realy like this forum, though is a lot bigger than im jused to.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast