Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 660

1 members and 659 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

MarkJeyFry (29)

» Stats

Members: 75,060
Threads: 248,513
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Jaseon
    Registered User Fenderplayer104's Avatar
    Thanks

Thermostat Question

i have been doing some research on geting a thermostat and i came across the esu thermostat. Is this a good thermostat, also when it reaches 93 will it turn off ? I will be using it with a over head dome light and i think the non stop on and off would bother my snake thank you for your help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Thermostat Question

It's a piece of junk, been there done that, very unreliable. Look into a Ranco or Johnson T -stat.

Thanks

I personally use a HerpStat unit from Spyder Robotics. Love it! Nice digital display so you can set the temp you want it to turn off at, and clearly view the monitored temp the prob is picking up at a glance. Great device. I winced at the price the first time I looked at it, but this winter my furnace did not kick in one morning and the whole house was c-o-l-d! The first thing I did was run to check on Salzedo, but thanks to the proportional thermostat his enclosure was the perfect temp. Money well spent!

Registered User Fenderplayer104's Avatar
    Thanks

instaed of that one should i get a rheostat i dont really want to spend 110 yet i just got into the hobby and i have already spent more than i thought possible.

Thanks

I agree with west coast, dont even waste your money on it. I use helix.... good stuff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderplayer104 View Post
    instaed of that one should i get a rheostat i dont really want to spend 110 yet i just got into the hobby and i have already spent more than i thought possible.
    Rheostats are fine if you live in an area that has mostly stable temperatures. However, if you live in an area with seasonal shifts in weather and overall temps, a Rheostat can be tricky to deal with. You will have to manually readjust it from time to time to keep the temps of your snakes enclosure in order (and check the temps by using another device, like an AcuRite or heat gun). They generally do not react well to sudden shifts in external temp, and some have been known to compensate by making the UTH too hot, or not hot enough.

That said, there are many people who live in areas with more stable climates who use them with success.

If you are on a budget, I would recommend investing in a good brand of Rheostat over nothing at all. Your UTH needs some sort of power regulation. Most UTH models can top off at 115F, and that is *way* too hot for a BP. Prolonged exposure to temps above 95F can cause permanent neurological damage, not to mention burns.
    Last edited by NightLad; 01-11-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Big game typo hunter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderplayer104 View Post
    When a cheap thermostat goes bad and kills or causes your snake to get sick, you will regret not buying a better one.

Average vet cost for an RI is around a $100.

Pray the cheap one also doesn't short ciruit and burn your house down.

Thermostats are one thing not to be cheap with.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    Thermostats are one thing not to be cheap with.
    You got that right
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    It's a piece of junk, been there done that, very unreliable. Look into a Ranco or Johnson T -stat.
    Ditto that, a switch dimmer would do a better job than the ESU thermostat.

I would not consider anything lower than Ranco or Johnson as far as thermostats go, a bit more expensive but reliable and worth every penny.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

The only other choice I would say you have, and mind you this in only in the meantime until you can spare that $75-110 for the good stuff, would be this:

Stay away from the rheostats and spend the $25-30 on a ZooMed ReptiTemp 500R thermostat. It's still a t-stat, albeit a low quality one, and it will work for you for a few months. Much better than the ESU or Alife ones, but you should still keep an eye on it and only use it until you can afford the better, reliable models.

Trust us, the one thing you should spend your money on is a good thermostat! Even if you have only one snake and you're just getting into keeping, you should still get at least a Johnson or Ranco. The ReptiTemp one will keep stable temps in the meantime, though.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'