Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

2 members and 3,226 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

New Here, Couple ?'s

When we got Marvolo he was a rescue, he was found in a park over the summer, so no real way of knowing his correct age. The Rescue Agency estimated that he was 3-5 years and told us he would probably not get any bigger.

This is our first BP, for that matter snake. I got hooked up with some really good info and help and things have been going very well since he has come home. We did not have a scale when we got him, but do now and this is where he is at...

...and he is about 39" long. My husband and I are convinced he is growing. A "guy" at the reptile store told me after I gave him all the info that he was probably closer to 2-3 yrs. He has just finished his second shed since getting him on 10/20/07. We definitely think his head has gotten bigger and he seems much heavier, we do not have a starting weight. We also were told he is a he, because of his size and the initial examination when the Rescue Society found him, he has not been sexed

So my question is about how heavy will these guys get? I’m just trying to figure out if he is going to get much bigger? The adults I have seen in person and on photos seem to be much larger then Marvolo???

We are feeding him live, due to a very traumatic experience I had, I uh, uh... I blew up a rat, it was gross and I decided I did not like the smell and the warming up process, so we switched. He is doing well and seems to prefer live over F/T. He is out within 15 sec of the drop and BAM, as with the F/T he would let it sit for quite a while and kind of hover over it and look at us like "you’ve got to be kidding".

So after the last feeding, he shed the day before we fed him, we noticed a couple of little white dots, like little scratches. We figured it is from the rat (he is getting a sm/med every Sunday night). They do not seem to even be an issue, no oozing or lifted scales, but I wanted to make sure I should not be doing something. Really hard to see, the marks are close to his nose....

Thanks for any input, peace!

Thanks

Re: New Here, Couple ?'s

What kind of substrate do you use? If you use aspen it could just be dust particles.

He looks to be about 1000 grams on that scale which is about the size of a 2-3 year old BP.

If he hasn't been sexed it is possible he is a she. If that is the case she could get up to 6-9 pounds and around 5-6 feet in length. Males stay smaller usually.

Since, he was found in a park have you had a vet check up? It might be a good idea. Try and get a fecal float done for a parasite check and the vet can sex the snake for you.

Next time he poops put it in a bag and bring it to the vet, if you have to wait a bit keeping it in the fridge will preserve any parasite eggs if any there are.

Thanks

If he or she is just a tad over 1,000 grams, that snake will get bigger. How much bigger will depend on gender, genetics and an appropriate feeding routine.

I'd suggest the same, a fecal float done if the rescue society didn't already do one and get either a herp vet, a breeder or an experienced hobbyist to either pop or probe your snake.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Yea he weighed 1050g, and that was just two nights ago. So he may be a lot younger then we thought as well as maybe a she????

I need to do his poo along with my sons RT and should probably just get them both in for a check-up. The Rescue Society did not have a vet come look at him, which I just found out - I assumed it was a normal occurance but they said they can't afford to have every rescue checked by a vet. So, he will be going soon and I will have him sexed. I have a herp vet by me, but he gave me some really bad advise on our RT so I really do not want to go back to him. I am searching for a new one for Marvolo's first visit and Saphira's next. I live in CO anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks - Peace

Thanks

You can find a list of vets from http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Thanks

Thanks that list had a few more on it then the one I had and actually one right by my house!! Already made an appointment! Really want to get Marvolo sexed now and get a little more knowledge. Weird how ?'s just keep coming up.

Thanks

Keep asking away we are here to help!