Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

3 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: new snake

Thanks

new snake

Well, I have been researching Ball Pythons for a while now and I have been wanting one for even longer (my cousin got one when i was young and ive wanted one ever since) I was going to start my project by getting all of the necessary materials and such but as it turns out it is possible for me to obtain a Jungle Carpet Python and all the equipment for free! I've read about them and know that they are also a good beginner snake and this one is already 2.5 years old. My question is do you think this would be worth doing? is this a difficult snake in terms of husbandry? let me know as soon as you can because this deal wont be there forever.. Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: new snake

I don't view carpets are difficult snakes at all. JCPs care is about the same as ball pythons, same temps and unlike ball pythons you will often see your JCP out and about basking. They do like to climb!

The one thing to be sure of is temperament. Most carpets calm down as they near adulthood. Find out what this one is like because a bitey big carpet is no fun. My yearling JCP still has an attitude though we're working on her.

Also, be prepared for a snake that gets bigger and is more active when out of the cage than a ball python. Some jungles can reach 8ft though it is much more common for them to stay around 6ft.

Find out all the info you can and then decide if you want this snake. I love carpets and will always encourage people to get one if they're ready for a more active and bigger snake than a ball python.

Deb

iHerp. Do you?

Thanks

Hi and welcome,

There is an excellent guide to the husbandry required of a JCP here in the Caresheet section: [Jungle] Carpet Python Caresheet Read it over carefully and realistically ask yourself if you can provide what it needs.

If you feel that this is the right snake for you, than I would advise that before you get one, even if you have the chance at getting one at a great deal, you make sure that you have the proper setup ready for when you bring him/her home. The guide will help you get things set up, and the Husbandry forum can point you in a good direction if you get stumped.

I hope this helps!

Thanks

i will definitely find out if this one is a biter before i decide on anything. you say they are a lot more active than balls? thats a good thing i think! what about feeding, ive heard that they are somewhat picky.

Thanks

thank you for the responses...anyone have any general knowledge from first hand about these guys?