Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,791

0 members and 2,791 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Florida banded water snake?

Hey, I don't own any of these but I have a friend that just got some.. I'm trying to help him out with his set up but I can't find much on the internet about how to keep them..

The pictures I have found (like 2) of their enclosures look like they're pretty full of water and rock.. the guy who has the snake has them set up in what looks like a corn/king set up..
    He sent me a picture of the enclosure which looks like a 20 gal w/heat lamp, water dish.. and what looks like pine bedding (don't worry, I just shot him an email and told him to get the snakes out of that asap and put them on newspaper until he can get some aspen)

The person he bought the snakes from didn't send any care information for him, so I'm trying to get some now so the snakes will be okay. The kid is really nice and really willing to get some good information for these snakes, I'm sure if I give him corrected care information he'll take all the steps to give these snakes a good life but I need some help finding care information.

If anyone had any tips, lists of needed supplies, or pictures of enclosures I would really appreciate it! I'll relay the information right to him.

Thanks

Re: Florida banded water snake?

Since it's a water snake, keep it in a pauladarium for starters (half water-half land terrarium). I'm not sure what substrate you should use though.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onua Nuva View Post
    Since it's a water snake, keep it in a pauladarium for starters (half water-half land terrarium). I'm not sure what substrate you should use though.
    Thanks, I found someone on another forum that had one and she gave me some good links to send to my friend.
    I think he'll be keeping it with half water and half aspen, the links I got said that would be okay. I just know the dry side has to be bone dry so the snake doesn't get any boils.

Thanks

I have had water snakes before, and presently have a female Banded Water Snake that I got from Scott Felzer. She eats f/t pinky pieces and is kept in the same kind of setup I use for the garters carefresh bedding, hide boxes, heat under one end of her container, and I have a cream cheese container kept mostly full of water with a rock in the center for weight and to provide a way to get in and out of the container easily (a precaution I've taken ever since I had some baby garters drown themselves in such a container of water...after that I always put a rock in to give them a stepping stone out).

My banded is a baby so this container is large enough for her to get her entire self into it. I rarely find her completely in the water however.

Carefresh bedding is great. Scott recommended it to me and Ive used nothing else ever since. It is sold as a small animal bedding, it's soft and very absorbent and the snakes love it! They have so much fun tunnelling through it.

As she grows, I intend to provide a container for her that's bigger so if she wants to get all the way into it, she is able to. However, she hasn't shown much inclination to want to spend time in the water.

In fact, she also defies the belief I've read so many places, about water snakes being aggressive. Of all the snakes I have, she is the one who most loves just being held and will sit quietly coiled in my hand as long as I let her!

The watersnakes I had in the past were adult Northerns and they didn't spend much time in their water containers either.

My adult garters have a fairly large plastic ziploc type container in their cage for water (aka swimming pool), they used to occasionally submerge themselves in the summertime but haven't been all the way in the water that I've observed, since mid September.