Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,398

3 members and 3,395 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

What to do about hides?

My Blood is finally getting too big for those X-large Terra hides and I'm debating if I should find him new ones or have no hides at all.

I remember reading about using hides until Bloods are a certain age but is that really acceptable?

Thanks

Re: What to do about hides?

I wouldn't get them a hide when they got that big. I think newspaper is sufficient enough ya know? lol, seems sometimes they prefer it over the hides we give them anyways.

Is he starting to wear the hide as a hat? Facing to the right? Cuz that's the blood side...

Thanks

I have never used hides...Adults get newspaper and the babies get cypress...The babies always burrow down in though...
    BT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I wouldn't get them a hide when they got that big. I think newspaper is sufficient enough ya know? lol, seems sometimes they prefer it over the hides we give them anyways.

Is he starting to wear the hide as a hat? Facing to the right? Cuz that's the blood side...
    He squishes as much of himself in there as he can but his head and tail pokes out the entrance. It's kind of comical.

I'll take the caves out and see how he does.

Thanks

I've also been pondering lately about the "hides for adult bloods" issue lately. My guy currently just sits on newspaper substrate and I'll crumple/wrinkle 2 sheets of additional newspaper. I find he always ends up hiding under the crumpled newspaper sheets - regardless if I put the sheets nearer the warmer or cooler side of the enclosure (I did that as a test).

Do your adult bloods somehow just find their way under the flat newspaper substrate to make their own hide or do they not hide at all? Or do you also provide a few crumpled sheets of newspaper?

On a side note, I noticed my 1 1/2 year old male ball python somehow always end up finding an opening in the flat newspaper substrate on his own and chooses to hide under there rather than use either of the 2 hides I've provided. This has only started the past few weeks. Up until that point, he's always just gone back and forth from the "hot" and "cold" hides ever since I acquired him.

Thanks

Do your adult bloods somehow just find their way under the flat newspaper substrate to make their own hide
    Oh, they find a way under the newspaper. The key is to clean their enclosure thoroughly, put down paper, making sure that they CANT get underneath it.

Then about 15-20 minutes later, you will find your blood snug and gleeful UNDER the newspaper. LOL

I have found that the bloods are cheerful and laugh at you when they are under the newspaper, but for ball pythons, they tend to be anti-social, and there is rumor they dont like the sun (like vampires).

Those two species both get pure enjoyment out of peeing and urating within hours of a new change of substrate.

Thanks

Oh, they find a way under the newspaper. The key is to clean their enclosure thoroughly, put down paper, making sure that they CANT get underneath it.

Then about 15-20 minutes later, you will find your blood snug and gleeful UNDER the newspaper. LOL

I have found that the bloods are cheerful and laugh at you when they are under the newspaper, but for ball pythons, they tend to be anti-social, and there is rumor they dont like the sun (like vampires).

Those two species both get pure enjoyment out of peeing and urating within hours of a new change of substrate.
    HAHA!

The Duke will play around in his waterbowl for a day or 2 then drop a deuce. He wants to be a naughty vampire God!

Thanks

The bloods I have had in my collection seemed to spend most of their time in their hides. I personally wouldn't take it away from the two I had. I currently use cat litter boxes for my yellow blood from Walmart and have also found and used some sort of rubbermaid dispan from there as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    HAHA!
    He wants to be a naughty vampire God!
    Well who doesn't??? I'd be a naughty vampire god! ahahaha (props for blade reference )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daaangconcepts View Post
    The bloods I have had in my collection seemed to spend most of their time in their hides. I personally wouldn't take it away from the two I had. I currently use cat litter boxes for my yellow blood from Walmart and have also found and used some sort of rubbermaid dispan from there as well.
    I did find some clay flower pots and I tried knocking a hole in them but I ruined them. I wish I had a dremel.

I'm so torn with this. Ugh!

I'd be a naughty vampire god! ahahaha (props for blade reference )

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast