Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,785

0 members and 1,785 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: RI - antibiotics and success rates

He's pretty wrong on drug administration(Baytril is given IM, not SQ), as well as what Baytril is good for. It will not treat Pseudomonas infections(Amikacin and Fortaz will).

He's also not correct on the amikacin dosage, it's 5mg/kg the first dose and 2.5mg/kg every subsequent dose q72h. It is different in other types of reptiles though.

Also, trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole(Bactrim) is a good antibiotic, but must be given orally as the injectable is on a LONG back-order.

He needs to update that website!
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I can't wade through all this right now, but... ahem...
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet View Post
    Please share this information with us...after all, this is a site for people to learn, right? I don't see a good reason why useful information should only be exchanged in a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES View Post
    RI - antibiotics and... 01-08-2008 06:31 AM JLC You are NOT a vet and should NOT be attempting to use our site to hand out ANY sort of "medical" advice, much less prescribing "medicines". -- JLC
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Dude....that's not censorship. That's me expressing my opinion. (and for anyone who hasn't guessed it...that's a quote from a neg rep comment I left) Censorship would be me deleting the post.

That original post you made about this subject makes you sound like some shadowy guy standing in an alley with snakeoil hidden under your trench coat that will "cure anything"...

For what it's worth, I was about to pos rep your follow-up post because it included REAL information that anyone who wished could then ask their vet about. And then this lovely post followed on its heels. I don't have a problem with giving people all the information on something and letting them make their own choices....but this "psssssssst....I have a secret cure if you want to speak privately where no one else can see it"....not gonna fly with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    I think its kind of funny how Matt is asked to share the information by a mod, and then gets jumped on by a mod for posting it minutes later.

You wonder why people take information to PM's now......
    Does seem unfair that Nathan asked for it, then Matt got hit with a neg rep for obliging. Matt did include disclaimers, such as, "take to a vet," etc. What a mess. Can we petition for removal of that neg rep?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron15 View Post
    This is exactly why after registering here one year ago, this was my first post and will be my last. I never posted on this forum to avoid all the fighting and it got to the point where I just stopped visiting. I decided to check it out once again after getting a baby Ball python this week. I thought I would post on this thread after reading Matt's post on Tylan and seeing that I used it with success on my boa. Whether it's the best medicine or not, or who said she said, or what it's good for. It worked for me and I am thankful.

I will not post again in this forum and not even visit as it's not for me. It's a shame that all this bickering and mod abuse ruins it for us trying to enjoy a community
    What a shame. Don't give up already.

OK, now for my story. Our '06 BP got an URI. We did Baytril and Fortraz shots (we also used SEAVS, but saw Dr. Crum). The pops did not go away, she was having a bad shed, looked bloated - what a mess. So then they prescribed (over the phone - how nice to not make the trip on New Year's Eve!) Zithromax. We gave oral doses for 10 days, helped with shed, gave her my famous "colon" massage (she needed to do a big one and probably had gas, too), and now she is mint!

My only question is, and maybe you can speak to this Adam since you use them, too: Dr. Crum said not to feed her until after the antibiotics in order to protect her kidneys. Does this sound right? She was 226 grams (a week after eating) at the vet and 212 grams after her first meal after the 1st round of antibiotics. So she lost weight. We were worried and gave her another mouse 5 days later. But maybe that was too much for her (thus the bloating?).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaFlipski View Post
    Does seem unfair that Nathan asked for it, then Matt got hit with a neg rep for obliging. Matt did include disclaimers, such as, "take to a vet," etc. What a mess. Can we petition for removal of that neg rep?
    Just to be perfectly clear about something...Matt got a neg rep from me for THIS post: (#5)

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES View Post
    hi
    i have only had a few ri's in the last few years. all were a result of shipping. i use a product to treat this that is a general antibiotic. i have had 100% success rate with this. a lot of the stuff that a vet will give you will leave scars on your snake. if you would like to know any more about what i use pm me. and we can talk about it.
    At that point, there was no other information offered...no disclaimer about the wisdom of seeking a vet's advice (it even seems to imply that you shouldn't listen to a vet because they will scar your snake)...just something that looked very shady and potentially dangerous to a new person who might not know any better. AFTER that...Nate requested that Matt share his information freely....which Matt did...and that was perfectly fine. I even said so in this thread. It sparked a very interesting and educational discussion and I have no problem with that whatsoever. Maybe when you have more time, you might go back and reread the first half of this thread again. I'll stand behind that negative rep though...because that (post #5) is no way to dispense medical advice on this site.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Just to be perfectly clear about something...Matt got a neg rep from me for THIS post: (#5)

At that point, there was no other information offered...no disclaimer about the wisdom of seeking a vet's advice (it even seems to imply that you shouldn't listen to a vet because they will scar your snake)...just something that looked very shady and potentially dangerous to a new person who might not know any better. AFTER that...Nate requested that Matt share his information freely....which Matt did...and that was perfectly fine. I even said so in this thread. It sparked a very interesting and educational discussion and I have no problem with that whatsoever. Maybe when you have more time, you might go back and reread the first half of this thread again. I'll stand behind that negative rep though...because that (post #5) is no way to dispense medical advice on this site.
    My confusion lay in the fact that this message (and Matt's about the neg rep point) came after the post with additional information. But now, I see, that you were just following-up to Matt's post about the neg rep after the fact. Thanks for clarifying. I hope my gibberish didn't confuse things more.

You original post:
    Dude....that's not censorship. That's me expressing my opinion. (and for anyone who hasn't guessed it...that's a quote from a neg rep comment I left) Censorship would be me deleting the post.

That original post you made about this subject makes you sound like some shadowy guy standing in an alley with snakeoil hidden under your trench coat that will "cure anything"...

For what it's worth, I was about to pos rep your follow-up post because it included REAL information that anyone who wished could then ask their vet about. And then this lovely post followed on its heels. I don't have a problem with giving people all the information on something and letting them make their own choices....but this "psssssssst....I have a secret cure if you want to speak privately where no one else can see it"....not gonna fly with me.
    Did you end up giving him the pos rep for the information, too? Or did you decide against it? I guess if you want to tell me it's none of my business - it is. So that is alright, too. Just wondering.

Sorry for the hijack.

Thanks

Did you end up giving him the pos rep for the information, too? Or did you decide against it? I guess if you want to tell me it's none of my business - it is. So that is alright, too. Just wondering.

Sorry for the hijack.

I don't think that asking about someone else giving rep points is proper "reputation points etiquitte".

just sayin'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MeMe View Post
    I don't think that asking about someone else giving rep points is proper "reputation points etiquitte".

just sayin'

Right, good point.

Melissa, I dont know that rep points are a subject to talk about unless you are an admin deciding what to do about negative ones. To quotes memes, just sayin.

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

just to answer the question no the neg rep was not given back. nor do i want it back. i was just simply trying to help out someone. you cant plese everyone all the time. but the person who needed the help got the message that i was trying to give them. that is all i care.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

Yeah, you guys are right. The only reason I asked is b/c she publicly said she gave neg rep point then was "going to give" a pos rep point.

I didn't mean if you gave one neg rep back.

Thanks.

Thanks

Yeah, you guys are right. The only reason I asked is b/c she publicly said she gave neg rep point then was "going to give" a pos rep point.

I didn't mean if you gave one neg rep back.

Thanks.

Maybe you should re-read her post.

She never said she was "going to give" him anything.

It is absolutely none of your business or anyone elses business who gives or gets rep points and for what reason.

just sayin'

and further more....Fisher publicly posted his neg rep before Judy said anything about it.

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

:
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMe View Post

Fisher publicly posted his neg rep before Judy said anything about it.
    ok first if you want to call me by last name you can just call me Fish. that is what most do. or simply Matt

about the neg rep. no crap i posted it before she said anything. most people dont post that they gave out neg rep points. i posted that she did to show how funny it is that 1 mod neg reped me for it and the other asked me to share more info.

so on.
    i am just relly glad that i got negative repd for saying that baytril dosnt work 100% of the time and tylan works good for me and others. well we all know what happend to the snake. i think we all need to be a little more open to others experiences. and not just shoot it down because it is a view different than your own. as judy said last night this site is a friendly place where all can feal at home and post different opinions. ( oh wait i posted my opinion and got a neg rep so i guess that was a load of crap)

i am not happy that the snake is dead. i just think it is a shame that we all could not be open minded to alternative cures.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast