Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,052

2 members and 3,050 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: RI - antibiotics and success rates

adam you did nothing wrong. you posted good information. and i cant wait to see what your vet says
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    Adam says its viable
    You're misunderstood ... That's not what I said at all ... I am in no way endorsing Tylan for treating RI in ball pythons ... from everything I've read, Tylan is used for treating gram positive infections while it's pretty common knowledge that the majority of URI's in ball pythons are gram negative ... personally, I would never try it but I'm certainly willing to ask a qualified vet about it.

That said, I only work with Ball Pythons and I would never pretend to have any kind of knowledge about what does and doesn't work in other species.

After working with ball pythons for a very very long time ... I know one thing for sure ... If your snake is sick ... take it to an experienced reptile vet ... a culture to identify the bacteria responsible for the infection along with a full course of anti-biotics that is scientifically proven to be effective in killing that bacteria is the safest and best way for treating your snake. I'm confounded as to why anyone would want to risk the health and/or life of their animal by trying anything else.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    You're misunderstood ... That's not what I said at all ... I am in no way endorsing Tylan for treating RI in ball pythons ... from everything I've read, Tylan is used for treating gram positive infections while it's pretty common knowledge that the majority of URI's in ball pythons are gram negative ... personally, I would never try it but I'm certainly willing to ask a qualified vet about it.

I'm sorry I misquoted you. I'm glad you are open to the idea of it. Many others thought it was blasphemy. When you get the information please post it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    I'm sorry I misquoted you. I'm glad you are open to the idea of it. Many others thought it was blasphemy. When you get the information please post it
    I think blasphemy might be a little strong, but I think anytime someone without a background in reptile medicine gets on a forum that has members with such a diverse level of experience and starts giving out medical advice (or hinting that they should be contacted in private for medical advice) it's reasonable to be concerned and to question that persons experience and motives ... no matter who they are ... Matt, Adam, or whoever.

There is so much of the "telephone game" (you know, heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend etc etc) that occurs on the internet and so much bad information (i once read a post about feeding crickets to ball pythons) that when it comes to advice that could lead someone to a decision that might effect the health and maybe even life of their animal that a little scrutiny isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

I get tons of emails, phone calls, and PM's every month from people describing symptoms of their sick ball pythons and I'm never comfortable giving any kind of medical advice and generally don't do that ... because without seeing the animal in person I really can't know for sure what's wrong and me giving out the wrong advice could lead to the death of that animal ... and that is something that I couldn't live with.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

This has been a very informative thread to follow. *knock on wood* I have not had any type of RI to date... but while we're scratching the surface, don't snakes get sick from both bacterial and viral elements? And what are the differences? And if so, are the same meds used for the bacterial illnesses as they are for viral? Sorry for the hi-jack!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

This is exactly why after registering here one year ago, this was my first post and will be my last. I never posted on this forum to avoid all the fighting and it got to the point where I just stopped visiting. I decided to check it out once again after getting a baby Ball python this week. I thought I would post on this thread after reading Matt's post on Tylan and seeing that I used it with success on my boa. Whether it's the best medicine or not, or who said she said, or what it's good for. It worked for me and I am thankful.

I will not post again in this forum and not even visit as it's not for me. It's a shame that all this bickering and mod abuse ruins it for us trying to enjoy a community

Thanks

I just wanted to know the difference between viral and bacterial illness!

Edit: Sorry... coffee is super strong this morning...
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laooda View Post
    I just wanted to know the difference between viral and bacterial illness!

Thanks

Viral infections can be treatable but not curable, bacterial infections can be cured....
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

http://www.brasherreptiles.com/Pharmaceuticals.htm

A Great link IMO.

Thought I should post this up....I should have posted it up earlier. Although it doesn't apply directly to ball pythons its a pretty good read.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast