Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

5 members and 3,286 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: RI - antibiotics and success rates

I think its kind of funny how Matt is asked to share the information by a mod, and then gets jumped on by a mod for posting it minutes later.

You wonder why people take information to PM's now......

Thanks

Adam, you might have taken that wrong. It wasn't directed at your or anyone, just to people in general. I just said I preferred to use something easier on the kidneys/liver, such as enrofloxacin, unless the culture came back and said Amikacin was an antibiotic that would work. Of course I would use it if needed, no hesitation there.

It's great as a nebulizing drug too, if you ever need to try it. 1ml per 10 ml of saline, plus a bronchodilator if they are needing some extra clearing-out.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    Cool ... I'll run it by my vet and see what he thinks ... Dr. Scott Stahl (www.seavs.com) is one of the premier herp vets in the world and works with animals from many of the big breeders including Pete Kahl, Ian G, and Ralph Davis ... I know that he's a fan of using Amikacin or Baytil in combination with Fortaz for most boids that he treats with RI, but I'm sure he's aware of the work being done with Tylan. After I speak with him I'll post what he thinks.

-adam
    thanks for sharing your info. i cant wait to see what he says on the subject. when i talked to my vet about tylan she said there was a newer medicen that is souposed to be even better than tylan. next time i am in there i will post what that is.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES View Post
    thanks for sharing your info. i cant wait to see what he says on the subject. when i talked to my vet about tylan she said there was a newer medicen that is souposed to be even better than tylan. next time i am in there i will post what that is.
    There is a bunch of work currently being done with 3rd gen cephalosporins (similar to fortaz) specifically on boids. A vet that is current with the latest veterinary based herp literature is a good one to have!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    There is a bunch of work currently being done with 3rd gen cephalosporins (similar to fortaz) specifically on boids. A vet that is current with the latest veterinary based herp literature is a good one to have!

-adam
    that is cool there is a lot more study going into these animals that we all love.

there are soooo many home made remadies for these snakes because most people take them to vets and the vet has no clue.
    Adam did you hear about the guy who treated mought rot with 50/50 mix of water and listerine? it was one of the large retic guys. i guess it worked great. just like at the top of the page i saw some one took there snake to the vet and he gave them iodine. LOL that is a over the counter liquid. i would hate if the vet charged them more than a few bucks for that info.
    Last edited by MATT FISHER REPTILES; 01-11-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES View Post
    that is cool there is a lot more study going into these animals that we all love.
    There is a ton of work being done ... even just 15 years ago (I'm really feeling old now) there were almost ZERO herp based vets that the average hobbyist could count on ... every year we go forward it gets better and better.

The listerine thing is an OLD SCHOOL remedy from the 70's and 80's ... If you talk to some of the pioneers of this hobby, you'd be amazed at some of the things that they used to do because people just really didn't have a clue about how to keep these animals alive in captivity, let alone healthy ... Today, we know so much more. We have proof that there are better ways to effectively cure stomatitis and I would hope that people take advantage of that knowledge ... I know a lot of the "old school" herpers will never change their ways, but I like to think of myself as part of a new generation that is more based in science than trial and error.

As far as vets with crazy diagnosis and reading books in their office while you wait in the exam room and over charging ... that's why I always say that it's important to INTERVIEW your vet before you bring an animal that you love to them ... Ask them what their experience is ... how many herps they see on a routine basis ... what periodicals about herp medicine to they subscribe to and read regularly. Just like everything else, for every bad vet there is a great one out there too ... I know a bunch and their knowledge has helped me more than I can express in words over that last 10 years.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone111888 View Post
    I think its kind of funny how Matt is asked to share the information by a mod, and then gets jumped on by a mod for posting it minutes later.

You wonder why people take information to PM's now......
    You know i was wondering the same as you, i ended up reading through this entire post just so i could see if they would ever stop bashing him for what another mod asked for! I also noticed that as soon as Adam chimed in there bashing ended, wierd.
    1.1 pastel balls, 0.1 spider ball, 1.0 green tree python, 2.0 high yellow jungle carpets, 0.1 jaguar jungle carpet, 1.1 hypo-red group boa, 0.1 suriname boa, 1.0 ghost boa, 1.0 hypo boa, 1.0 anery boa, 1.0 red albino, 0.1 het red albino, 0.1 jungle het albino, 0.1 sunglow, 0.2 het albino, 1.1 proven DH snow, 0.1 het anery, 1.0 dh sunglow, 1.1 normal rtb.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    You know i was wondering the same as you, i ended up reading through this entire post just so i could see if they would ever stop bashing him for what another mod asked for! I also noticed that as soon as Adam chimed in there bashing ended, wierd.
    Not sure what I had to do with anything ... I was only trying to be helpful.

-adam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post

Kinda funny, looks a like a few people have a grudge. Matt suggests something gets attacked, Adam says its viable, and it abruptly ends.

Thanks

LOL. looks like you guys have 20/20 eye sight.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast