Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

1 members and 3,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: RI - antibiotics and success rates

Yup, have to agree with Becky again. I paid $20 for my doses of Baytril, (for rats again). Unfortunately, I didn't get that good of a deal LOL. $70 for 100 ml? Sign me up! Haha

Thanks

Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Reptile, since the Baytril is working, then that is what your snake needs to be on. If the snake hadn't shown improvement after 2-3 injections, then the antibiotic would need to be changed. Baytril is a very potent broad-spectrum antibiotic and works well for most respiratory infections.

It's really not as expensive as you may think, I have a 100ml bottle of the 100mg/ml concentration and it only cost me around $70. I love my vet
    Stephanie

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...t=58707&page=2
    Baytril shot scars pics by cassandra
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

Baytril doesn't cause scarring IF you do it properly, IE diluting with saline prior to injection. Baytril BURNS like nobody's business if given regular strength anyway, so diluting it with saline serves two purposes...

Matt, you must have an issue with taking your animals to the vet.. As well as everyone elses'.. Veterinarians are there for a reason, and even if you're not going to use them, don't suggest that other people don't. What if someone's snake has a respiratory infection, and you tell them to go to the feed store, get some Tylan and needles/syringes, and give so-and-so amount over this many days, but their snake doesn't respond. But wait, you told them it would work and not to go to the vet, right? However long goes by and their snake is drowning in its own fluids from advanced pneumonia, while the poor owner is left twiddling their thumbs waiting on meds that won't work...

Doesn't sound like good, solid advice to me..

Edit: I have a Het Pied male who came to me with a respiratory infection from shipping stress, he was on IM baytril for over a month and never scarred up. His skin is as perfect as the day he hatched. Don't tell me that it causes scars, because it doesn't. I'm even using the biggest strength of Baytril and still didn't get scars.
    Last edited by SatanicIntention; 01-10-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: forgot something
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

why was he on baytril for over a month.

i have only ever advised tylan to people when they come to me and when nothing else has worked. just like jakes boa. you are 100% right i have never and i mean never had a good experience with so called reptile vets. all you have to do is read the same medical book they do.
    Last edited by MATT FISHER REPTILES; 01-10-2008 at 01:33 PM.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Thanks

Matt, I don't know what your motivations were by bringing up that post. Are you trying to dissuade people from using Baytril (Enroflaxacin) because it can cause a scar?

The point Becky has been trying to make, is that scarring is really a small chanced side effect. Most if not all medications come with side effects, and when Baytril is diluted properly, the chance of scarring is very very limited.

Baytril is an excellent drug, and has shown great success for illnesses such as RI's, gastrointestinal infections, urinary tract infections and more. It is used and prescribed by thousands of Veterinarians across the country.

In the case of Baytril and taking your animal to the vet, the pros outweight the cons monumentally.

edit:
    Good job btw with the Vet comment and belittling all of their 8+ years of medical training. I suppose all Vet's and MD's are really just "reading the books" and have no more knowledge than some readings right?

Thanks

that is good advice to delute it. i have never herd a vet tell people to do that. did you come up with that?
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Thanks

No, it's because I have a GOOD vet! It's not difficult to figure out that if a drug is strong and normally burns tissues, that diluting it with saline will help stop the burning and tissue destruction.

Also, my het Pied was on antibiotics for over a month because that is what is usually prescribed. Talk to a few good reptile vets and they'll tell you. People rarely give antibiotics for a long enough period. Reptiles have such slow metabolisms that it takes longer for the antibiotics to go through their system, and they need to take them for a longer period so the infection fully clears up(not just goes away).

I take my horse to a vet who is ALSO a pharmacist.. Wonder how long he was in school? And he's useless, right? My herp vet is the ONLY vet I will take my rats and snakes too, as she is competent, and if she doesn't know something, she will go look it up. I take great pride knowing my animals are in good hands, and I have someone knowledgeable to fall back on if I have questions or concerns. I guess you don't want that for your 100s of Balls, correct?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Becky, just curious.. how much saline would you dilute with the baytril?

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

With a small dose, such as 0.01-0.03 I usually dilute it by 0.1-0.15ml of saline. With a bigger dose such as 0.05-0.1 I use up to 0.2ml of saline(0.3ml of fluid total going in). Seems to work better for me and disperses through the tissues easier. They don't flinch as much(except when the needle goes in) nor do they thrash about when injecting the meds in. Works well for me although I hope to not have to do it again for quite awhile.
    --Becky--

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast