Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,427

2 members and 2,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: RI - antibiotics and success rates

here's a question, what makes you think they have an RI?

if it's just because they're whistling then they're probably just being carpets... all mine do this and it is well documented that they will make a noise from time to time that many people (including vets) fear is the first symptoms of an RI. obviously its not good to give antiobiotics when they arent needed so i'd tread carefully there.

if i'm way off from your current situation then just disregard
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist View Post

if it's just because they're whistling then they're probably just being carpets... all mine do this and it is well documented that they will make a noise from time to time that many people (including vets) fear is the first symptoms of an RI. obviously its not good to give antiobiotics when they arent needed so i'd tread carefully there.

Before I took George, I came here & asked. George was tilting his head, gasping his mouth open, constantly.... When the Vet listening to him breath, he heard some congestion. ON day #3 of shots, I'd say George is less gasping his mouth open.. he finished a shed & finally ate.

I had no idea that Snakes gets URI/pneumonia, mites too.
    Stephanie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptile3 View Post
    When the Vet listening to him breath, he heard some congestion. ON day #3 of shots, I'd say George is less gasping his mouth open.. he finished a shed & finally ate.
    It sounds like he's being treated properly, is doing well, and is on-track to a full recovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist View Post

Well, my bigger cp was wheezing quite a lot, sneezing, rubbing her face against everything, not eating, and she also had mucous coming out of her mouth. My smaller one was also rubbing her head against surfaces and exhibiting open-mouth breathing. Also, she was an excellent feeder (she is still supposed to be on pinkies but went straight for my other snakes' fuzzies and munched them all when I first got her!) and suddenly refused to eat, which really isn't like her as she's terribly greedy! The vet confirmed that they both had fluid in the back of their mouths, indicating RI.

I was a bit worried about giving them antibiotics as some of my friends say it hasn't worked for them and it can have side effects. However I'm trusting the vet in this case

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet View Post
    Please share this information with us...after all, this is a site for people to learn, right? I don't see a good reason why useful information should only be exchanged in a PM
    the product is called tylan 200. it is marketed as a bovine medicen but after talking to a few vets they say that it is more than safe for use on boids only. i have never treated a snake that did not get better.
    this has ben refered to me by a few good frinds in the snake bisnuess. one of the most popular people that use it is jeff ron of boaphile plastics who has the largest collection of boas in the us. he says he has been useing this product for a over 15 years and has not had a problem.

the recommended dose. you have to figure out the snakes poundage then times that number by 1.25 and this number is the ammount of cc's you should use. there is a total of three treatments total. one ever three days. i have only ever had to extend 2 more doses for 1 relly bad problem that arose from getting a snake in the middle of winter that was not packed right.

dont get me wrong i do believe in going to the vet for real medical problems. but to me a mild case of ri is like going to the doctor for a sinus infection. ie there are pleanty of over the counter meds that will cost you a hell of a lot less than going to the doctors office.

this is just what has worked for me, and many others. i advise you talk to your vet before you do anything to your animals.
    ( my little disclaimer)
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

some will eat some wont it is relly not something to worry about till they are better from there ri.
    i have a boa and i am sure others here have some snakes that have small dime sized scars from the medication the vet gives for ri. the stuff works great but usually leavs some scaring. be sure to not inject the same spot twice.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Thanks

RI - antibiotics and... 01-08-2008 06:31 AM JLC You are NOT a vet and should NOT be attempting to use our site to hand out ANY sort of "medical" advice, much less prescribing "medicines". -- JLC

not sure what the heck this is souposed to be about. but most people like to make there own decisions about most things. this is a example of cencership at its worst. this is why i only posted that people should contact me for info on the product. where i tell them what it is and how to use it but warn them that this is there decision.
    just last spring i helped porkchopsandcornbread aka jake out with a young sick boa he had. the total cost to get his snake better was less than 30 bucks. one trip to a vet for the same thing would be over 100 bucks. and keep in mind this is a 15 year old kid at the time.

read the damn thread title i was only shareing what had worked for me.

geeeezzzzzzzzzzz
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dude....that's not censorship. That's me expressing my opinion. (and for anyone who hasn't guessed it...that's a quote from a neg rep comment I left) Censorship would be me deleting the post.

That original post you made about this subject makes you sound like some shadowy guy standing in an alley with snakeoil hidden under your trench coat that will "cure anything"...

For what it's worth, I was about to pos rep your follow-up post because it included REAL information that anyone who wished could then ask their vet about. And then this lovely post followed on its heels. I don't have a problem with giving people all the information on something and letting them make their own choices....but this "psssssssst....I have a secret cure if you want to speak privately where no one else can see it"....not gonna fly with me.
    -- Judy

Thanks

only you expressing your opinion LMFAO. OK! it was a neg rep form you. you are a site admin. you opinion would be you posting after my post or pming me. that is like the fcc fineing someone , and when they say censorship the fcc saying no it is just my opinion.
    Last edited by MATT FISHER REPTILES; 01-09-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

Thanks

One other thing, Tylan ONLY treats mycoplasma-related respiratory problems, it doesn't treat other bacteria.. SO, if your snake has a streptococcal based respiratory infection, good luck! Also, Tylan rarely even works for rats, who are Myco factories, and instead a combo of Baytril and Doxycycline is a much better treatment option when dealing with a bad respiratory infection in the rat.

The best option is to get a culture, AT THE VET, and let them determine the course of action.

Antibiotics do not cause scarring if you are doing it properly. Baytril needs to be diluted with a bit of saline before injection, because 1) it doesn't burn as much to the snake, and 2) it doesn't cause as much of a tissue reaction, therefore less chance of scarring.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast