Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

1 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

RI - antibiotics and success rates

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and unfortunatly my two carpet pythons have both got respiratory infections.

I took them to the vet on Friday and she gave them antibiotics and after taking them back today, she said that my 3yr old CP had gained a bit of weight whilst my baby had lost a tiny bit more but felt that they were still in the same condition as before the weekend.
    I've heard from a lot of other snake owners that antibiotics often hasn't worked for them and wondered what the general opinion between other owners was. Also, for those who have used antibiotics how long did it take for the RI to clear up? I'm really, really worried about them so any advice is more than welcome (obviously I have also raised temperatures etc).

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: RI - antibiotics and success rates

I am new too all this to, my bp was diagnosed last week with pneumonia. He is on Baytril, i have to give him a shot every 48 hours for the next 2 weeks. Today is his 3rd shot. I too was curious to when it will start to work.. He still has his mouth open... I worry, I don't want to loose him. I have never had any sick reptiles before, so like I said this is all new to me too!!!
    Stephanie

Thanks

Hi, my 5'8" RTB had an RI and I got her some antibiotics, she was originally on 2 weeks of shots, but the infection didn't clear up.. So the vet put her on 2 more weeks (which I just completed) and the infection seems to be gone now.
    I also had to soak my boa everyday (for like 5-10 min at a time) to help with the infection.. it seemed to help clear her up.

Anyways, I feel like the antibiotics worked.. If the infection doesn't clear up you may need to put the snake on more antibiotics or ask the vet if there is something else you could be doing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptile3 View Post
    I am new too all this to, my bp was diagnosed last week with pneumonia. He is on Baytril, i have to give him a shot every 48 hours for the next 2 weeks. Today is his 3rd shot. I too was curious to when it will start to work.. He still has his mouth open... I worry, I don't want to loose him. I have never had any sick reptiles before, so like I said this is all new to me too!!!
    It was my first sick reptile too! I hope your snake gets better.. I didn't see a real difference in my snake until he completed his second round of 2 week antibiotics. (My RTB was on the same antibiotics every 48hrs for 2 weeks as well)
    Since you have a smaller snake you probably shouldn't need to go on a second round, hopefully you'll notice a difference soon.

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

hi
    i have only had a few ri's in the last few years. all were a result of shipping. i use a product to treat this that is a general antibiotic. i have had 100% success rate with this. a lot of the stuff that a vet will give you will leave scars on your snake. if you would like to know any more about what i use pm me. and we can talk about it.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MATT FISHER REPTILES For This Useful Post:

janett (11-19-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edie View Post
    It was my first sick reptile too! I hope your snake gets better.. I didn't see a real difference in my snake until he completed his second round of 2 week antibiotics. (My RTB was on the same antibiotics every 48hrs for 2 weeks as well)
    Since you have a smaller snake you probably shouldn't need to go on a second round, hopefully you'll notice a difference soon.
    Thank you for your reply... I am sorry your snake was sick too. MY George still opens his mouth, it makes me nervous. He just had a nice 15 min soak in the tub, and he is almost done with his shed. again, thanks
    Stephanie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES View Post
    hi
    i have only had a few ri's in the last few years. all were a result of shipping. i use a product to treat this that is a general antibiotic. i have had 100% success rate with this. a lot of the stuff that a vet will give you will leave scars on your snake. if you would like to know any more about what i use pm me. and we can talk about it.
    What do you mean by scars? Also, did any of yours eat at all whilst they were sick?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKatSuperStar View Post
    I've heard from a lot of other snake owners that antibiotics often hasn't worked for them and wondered what the general opinion between other owners was. Also, for those who have used antibiotics how long did it take for the RI to clear up?
    Thanks!
    I've had a snake die after the first shot, but otherwise antibiotic treatment has cured my snakes in 4-5 shots in most cases. I had to try a second antibiotic in once case.
    Of course I completed the course of antibiotics after the symptoms vanished.
    Last edited by JeffFlanagan; 01-08-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES View Post
    hi
    Please share this information with us...after all, this is a site for people to learn, right? I don't see a good reason why useful information should only be exchanged in a PM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKatSuperStar View Post
    Also, did any of yours eat at all whilst they were sick?
    I just gave George his #3 shot, and he ate last night, this is his second fuzzy since we got him 4 weeks ago. He has been hiding in his little hide spot. I touch him to see if he is ok.. Also I will add he just finished a shed too. I believe the antibiotics is working.

But just like us humans, if we start to show signs of getting better, you still finish all the meds.
    Stephanie

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast