Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

1 members and 2,955 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question What should I consider for getting 1st JCP?

Inspired by another's loot gotten from Craig's list (many BP's and the rack, too), I looked on the list myself to see what was new. I saw a post for a 6 month old Jungle Carpet Python. I am considering getting this guy/gal (sex unknown) - or rather, I am considering badgering my husband about it. Here is what the woman told me via email:

I'm not sure of the sex, but it is approx.6 mths old and approx 2-2 1/2 ft long.When we first got it, he/she was a little snappy,but with regular handling it has calmed down and is very handleable. We've never had a problem with shedding,eating etc... He/she eats 2 f/t or live adult mice per week, and also has eaten rat pups in the past. I kept all my snakes in plastic tubs, which work well for humidity. I would also include water bowl and heat lamp. This snake has very pretty colors and has the potential to reach approx 6 ft, but will be a slender snake and therefore wouldn't need a very large snake. It is also an arboreal snake,and doesn't spend it's time hiding under hideboxes etc.. but is always hanging out on the climbing branch. I had 8 snakes and had to downsize because I am moving in a couple months and will not be able to take them.

She is asking $80 on the ad.

What else should I ask / consider?

Thanks

Talking Re: What should I consider for getting 1st JCP?

Well, I plan to pick this little babe up on Tuesday evening. But I welcome any and all comments / advice / suggestions and links to good care sheets.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: What should I consider for getting 1st JCP?

Well, if it all looks sound, a good quarentine period should be in order. she/he looks pretty healthy!

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with Pat. Quarentine. I was going to say one that eats rats but I see in your post you said it has eaten rats. Just make sure you can provide a proper cage for an adult(Which could potentially get to the 7-8' range). A 3' by 2' by 2' would be a bare minimum in my eyes
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread View Post
    I agree with Pat. Quarentine. I was going to say one that eats rats but I see in your post you said it has eaten rats. Just make sure you can provide a proper cage for an adult(Which could potentially get to the 7-8' range). A 3' by 2' by 2' would be a bare minimum in my eyes
    Yes, we'll be OK with his/her eventual size and will provide a large enclosure when the time comes. And we'll definitely quarentine. We already have the other two snakes separated. So that's nothing new. We just have to decide what room to use.

For now, I'll be the one primarily working with him/her - and my husband some. The kids aren't on the "handling list" until the new JCP settles in and we have established that a bite is not likely.

The current owner said he/she hasn't bitten for 1 1/2 months. I don't mind working with him/her - I see it as a welcome challenge to see what kind of snake keeper I am and establish where I am headed.

What else can you guys, or anyone else, add about what to expect in terms of temperment, activity level, speed of movement, etc.? I only have a Ball Python and Kenyan Sand Boa to compare to.

Thanks

My experience with nippy snakes are, if you move slow and steady, so will they, the few jcps ive seen were very quick to respond to fast movement. hope this helps. wheres the pics lady!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

I have two JCP.. they're definitely more nippy than BPs are. My male always tries to nip.. my female is usually good when she's out of the cage, but not today, she was in a rotten mood today.

They are only semi-arboreal, and they lose some of that tendency as they age. I'd include a hide box for a young one if it's not going to be housed in a rack.

Sometimes it can be hard to get them to eat rats.. they like mice for some reason. I haven't had trouble with my female, and my male isn't large enough to eat rats yet, but if you can get it to eat rats, stick with them.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Thanks, guys.

He/she will be in a tub. He's/she's only 6 months old / 2 1/2 feet. How painful a bite can I look forward to?

There is a picture in the OP. I'll post more pictures when I pick him/her up tomorrow evening! I'll let you know how the picup goes, too. Don't fret!

I can't wait!

Thanks

In most cases I would be pretty leary of buying a snake from someone on Craigslist but the email made that person appear to be a reasonably knowledgeable and responsible person. In many of the ads it's pretty clear that the snake is coming from a situation of long term bad care. It doesn't look like that is the case here. That is a nice looking snake.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

I have one female JCP and I have to admit, she is still rather aggressive. This is the reason we took her in, as her previous owner was tired of getting bit. She has started to calm down and we just moved her to a tub so she's easier to get out and hold. She has gotten much better over the last few months, too. Now she only tries to bite once every 10 min or so instead of every 10 seconds.

I love carpet pythons and find them to be wonderful snakes to keep as pets. Most of them like to climb and you will find them hanging out on branches or other areas of their enclosures if you provide basking spots that allow this behavior. They are much more nippy as babies than other snakes but most outgrow the problem within a few months.

Once yours settles in, start regular handling and I think you'll be fine. Enjoy your first Morelia! I find them more addicting than ball pythons (guess that's why I have 7 now and am waiting on another!).

Deb

iHerp. Do you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast