Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,903

2 members and 2,901 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: How Do You?

Thanks

How Do You?

You breed your rat's to be feeders correct? Yes, if so How do you get so attached to your rats and then turn around and feed your Snakes?
    Do you only save certain rats as holdback's for future breeding as these will never be feed so you are able to get attached to them?

When I bred mice I had 24 tubs. I remember trading pairs with friends to get diffrent color's whick added alittle something to breeding the mice. You werent just breeding the same old White albino's.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Go Red Wings
    Ball Pythons
    0.5 Normals
    1.0 Pastel
    1.1 Het Albino
    1.0 50% Pos Het Pied
    1.0 Spider

Thanks

Re: How Do You?

I've learned to breed rats who grow to be big in body, good in health, and produde with out problems. I have mostly hooded and plain colored rats. Nothing fancy. At first I bred and kept for colors and the ones I thought who were "cute". In the long run I found out that not all the "cute" ones where good breeders, as some had health issues and didn't grow as big as I would have hopped for, etc.

While the baby rats are growing, I watch who the stronger, more active, and bigger babies are. Those babies will mostly be held back when 4 weeks of age comes. The ones who "lack" behind or show signs of being in poor quality, those are the ones that get fed off. ALL my rats have a job, if they aren't put in to breeding then they are fed off. Same goes with older rats that lack in litter size or don't turn out to be good mothers or breeders. None of my rats go to waste.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Amen to that - Good post...I used to be a hooded man myself but I've seen the light with Mr. Suttles "high production" line...I've pretty much replaced all but a couple of bins with Larry's line...Can't ever compain about litters that top 20...
    BT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdawg View Post
    Do you only save certain rats as holdback's for future breeding as these will never be feed so you are able to get attached to them?
    Thats my thinking right now. I just got two dumbos Mona and Lisa, they're gonna be my breeders when they get old enough. And I honestly dont plan on ever feeding them off. They're my little buddies! But there kids will just be snake food!!
    Crazy bout balls!!!

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

can a male from those 20 litter clutches make the difference when bread to normal females. or does the female determin the ammount of eggs. mine drop 15 on average getting up in the 20s would be great.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

Richard, I think for me because I was raised in the country I just grew up thinking about animals in a certain way. For instance I can enjoy watching deer graze in a field, love their gentle beauty but just as much enjoy the act of responsible hunting and a good venison roast. I grew up around farmers that knew every minute detail about their stock, named some or had favorites in the barn, but were clear on what they were there for - production of meat for human consumption. I grew up around hunters who were some of the best nature conservationalists I'll ever know.

For me, hunters and farmers have been my best example of how to manage the rats - with respect for their role, with common sense and good care and with a clear knowledge of what is the ultimate goal.

I would not keep the number of rats I do were it not for their production of feeders. In that, I have the side benefit of enjoying my colony, naming and interacting with the permanent breeding group. They are in my mind one group, the feeders they produce are another.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

For me, hunters and farmers have been my best example of how to manage the rats - with respect for their role, with common sense and good care and with a clear knowledge of what is the ultimate goal.
    Exactly.

It's simple really, these animals provide a service for me. I get enjoyment out of keeping them, but I respect them immensely for producing food for my snakes. I can get attached to my breeders, because I spend a lot of time growing them up and socializing them with me and Chris.

When their days are over, I will either put them down, and use them to feed any large animal I have, or let them go till the very end. It's something I haven't had to deal with yet, but I think I'll have a bunch of granny rats hanging out until it is too detrimental to keep them.

I guess it's very Native American of me to say; respect what the earth does for you, and you will be blessed. I respect my animals, and that allows me to use them for my own purposes. It's the circle of life

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdawg View Post
    You breed your rat's to be feeders correct? Yes, if so How do you get so attached to your rats and then turn around and feed your Snakes?
    I promised myself I would not get attached, and I don't with the one that are designed to be feeders, however I did get attached to some breeder girls that I produced and they will retire as pets (Some will stand every now and than). Can I realistically retire all of them? No but I will with a few that are special to me!
    I holdback females and bring new blood in the colony by getting new males. I find it more difficult not to get attached to those that I produced and raised to be breeder.
    I remember trading pairs with friends to get diffrent color's whick added alittle something to breeding the mice.
    This is why right now I breed Black, Beige & Agouti Hooded, Albinos, Rex, Berkies and soon I will breed Dumbo
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I do not get attached to feeders at all. I clean up after them and feed them. I will cometimes hold my male when hes out but only for a few seconds. I do not think ive held all my rats together for more than 2 minutes since ive had them. My little sister( who is 16, she always be the little sister to me) is the one that gets them out to play with them. Personaly i do not give a rats butt about them. I have yet to get babys but one of my females is getting huge so i do not know how well i will handle the baby cuteness factor.

I also did not get any special colors, i look for healthy looking ones that will be good for breeding and it ends there. If you go and choose the best looking/cutest/playful/(but healthy) ones you are more likely to get attached.