Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,326

2 members and 3,324 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumbo rats....

Thanks

Dumbo rats....

I have a question about dumbo rats.... I am thinking about buying a couple female rats to raise up into breeders eventually. I have a 10g tank and I have been doing a lot of reading up on here and I found a person who breeds dumbo rats. She wants 15 dollars each for them which I think is a bit pricey but as I am new to this whole thing maybe not?

Anyway... I am thinking of maybe just keeping dumbos... Is this even a good idea? Is it important to keep other kinds of rats also? I am just wondering.
    Jessyca
    2.0.1 Normals
    1.0 Dumeril's Boa
    0.0.2 cornsnakes

Thanks

Re: Dumbo rats....

They are likely that price because she's a pet rat breeder. She may not choose to sell to you because you own snakes that eat rodents, just be prepared for that.

Two rats cannot live and grow up in a 10 gallon tank, they will very quickly (as in overnight) outgrow it. I use 10's but only as maternity enclosures for one rat and her offspring for the first 10-15 days or so after birthing, then they go into roomier tubs. You'll want to get a proper large rat cage most likely.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

why would you choose dumbo over standard eard rats anyway?

If your feeding them off there is no advantage to
    A: using a breeders rat, especially considering they are specfically bred to be pets
    B: aside from ear placement there is no difference.. for example you could have a litter with both standard and dumbo eared rats.. aside from the cutness factor (oi I just cant feed rats!)

if you choose to use a breeder, they may force you to sign a statement promissing not to breed their rats, you have to remember these breeders put alot of time and work into getting the animals they offer and wouldnt want their "babies" being bred.. especially not to supply food!

I also agree with joanne.. a 10gal is rediculous to keep rats in.. even just one (And they should never be kept alone) how many snakes are you feeding. is it even nessesary to breed your own? Your talking very large bins at least to keep any breeder mom in... my pair of pets are kept in a 5' tall cage.

Thanks

Duh on my part with the 10g tank thing... I am not sure what I was thinking especially as I had just been searching over previous posts from your self and another lady here about your new bin designs... Didn't even register in my mind. Having issues this morning I guess.

I might not mention that I have any snakes... I know its dishonest but not so much really, they would be pets too. We aren't biased here lol my house is already a small zoo... whats a couple of rats to go with the snakes cats dogs lizards mice.... I feel like I am forgetting someone....lol

I don't need very many babies... so I figured I would get a couple females and when they are grown enough pick up a male. Its a ways away still... I am thinking early March as I have a couple other projects I want to finish up first.
    Jessyca
    2.0.1 Normals
    1.0 Dumeril's Boa
    0.0.2 cornsnakes

Thanks

I dont think you have enough snakes to validate breeding.. that also goes with saying i dont recommend breeding unless its nessesary (high feeding bills because of multiple snakes) your talking possibly 15-20 babies in one shot. then in order to feed them at what size your snakes are consuming you have to pay for the bedding, food, space, exc for as long as it takes them to be ready... its really a bottomless money pit compared to even spending $20 a week on feeders (for what you own it shouldnt even be that high) no one can force you to do what your going to do but being dishonest doesnt help either, imagine how the breeder would feel..

Thanks

I don't know what to tell you Ashley other than I have read a lot of information around this site about rats mice snakes and whatever else catches my eye. I have seen many times here, and on another sites I like to read at, that its probably not a good idea to disclose that I own snakes.

As I am mostly just fishing for more information I accept your opinion and will respectfully not insult you any further with my questions.

Thanks and have a nice day.
    Jessyca
    2.0.1 Normals
    1.0 Dumeril's Boa
    0.0.2 cornsnakes

Thanks

Jessyca, of course people are going to tell you not to disclose that you have rodent eating animals.. why would a breeder who breeds their animals for companions sell you something that could possibly be long term food.. even if you decide not to feed the rats you pick up you would be intending to feed their off spring. Youve gotta think of it from that stand point to understand why other people would choose to not disclose their intent or pets. I guarantee if you went to a breeder and said, I have three rat eating pets and I would like to purchase one of your pets to keep as a pet but also to breed to feed to my pet they would tell you, you were out of your mind.

Your not insulting me with your questions, as thats what they are, questions. All I'm doing is supplying you with my opinion and answers. What I want to know is why would you choose a dumbo rat over a standard eared rat when the only difference is ear placement. Why would you not choose to get your breeder rats (breeder meaning to breed to have babies, not a person breeder) from a resource such as a reptile store, who supply feeder quality feeders (meaning well fed, not bred for color, temperment, longevity, exc..rat breeders often put years into getting liniage of healthy, long living, friendly rats) instead of feeding off an animal thats intended to be a pet.. I have friends and work with breeders who breed rats as pets and I can tell you they would be mortified to know your intent and wouldnt place one of their animals with you knowing that... I have pet rats who have never even seen the snake that lives here and never will. I have feeder mice intended for that, which I get not from a mouse breeder but from a feeder supplier.. just my 0.02.

Also, as i said previously.. i just cant see how you can justify having rats to breed when your only feeding four snakes total.. only one who eats baby rats/mice I just couldnt understand the expendature of having rats to breed when it works out cheaper to buy feeders as you need them. If you want two rats as pets thats a totally different ball game. I have two rats, getting ready to add at least one more from a breeder.. my rats are as much a part of our family as our bearded dragons, cresties, exc.. they are equal to a dog in my mind.

Thanks

The only risk you run with buying from a fancy rat breeder is that her animals may not be the best for breeding. I would have to say most likely she would not sell you a male and a female. The goal of rat breeders is to produce pretty rats, not high production rats, and I would have to say they work hard on their pedigrees to get that "perfect" rat. They find it very insulting if you use their rat for a feeder breeder. Chances are, she will not sell to you. It's just the way it is.

Second, there are a lot of feeder breeders down in tenessee. Perhaps someone around here would offer to sell you a pair to get you started.

Third, why not check out petsmart or petco? I got 2 of my female's from there, and they produce litters of 15-16 each time. One girl is around 400 grams. She is a large Non fatty female. She turned out great, is a great mom, and I love her to death.

Also, I would like to mention, dumbos are extremely, overkill, cute when young, if you like rats at all, you may find it hard to feed them off. We have both, they grow the same, just the cuteness factor really goes into high gear when you have dumbos around.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=52894 check out that thread. It's a great run down of what your looking at.
    5 snakes means 5 rats per week * 26 weeks (6 months) = 130 rats

To buy at the pet store = 130 rats * $4 = $520 (avg.)
    To buy F/T from a .com = 130 rats * $0.92 = $120 (avg.)
    ($0.69 each rat + $0.23 ) ($0.23 is what is costs to ship each rat total = $30)

To breed = $146
    I assumed 12 breeder females (to produce 10 feeders per week) and 2 males * $4 = $56 + Monthly Food/Bedding = $15 * 6 month = $90 (and you have to buy/build housing for all of them = $??)

Take this to a year: 260 rats
    Buy F/T = $192 (since you could buy the whole year at once the per rat cost goes down)
    To Breed = $236 (getting closer but still not worth it)
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 12-29-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks

Connie.. great response!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Well, now we have one person saying the rats aren't as good as breeders, since they were bred as pets.
    Then the next saying they got females from Petsmart, which is Pet rats, and they do great.
    I don't know about you, but I have breeders still(even though I don't produce enough for my snakes, and most of the adults haven't produced in a while) and I prefer to have different colors and I like rexes and dumbos. If I have to have rats to breed for my snakes, I'd rather get pretty interesting rats rather than just plain albino white rats. I'd rather keep a strain of nice handable rats, rather than not. I treat my breeder rats very well, and the feeders are treated well, up til they are fed to snakes.
    I haven't seen any difference in production from rats I got from Petsmart, from a pet rat breeder and from out of the feeder bin at the reptile store. If I was looking to get a possible future breeder, I always pick cool looking rats, colored prettily, with rex coats, whatever. I like to keep the most tame females for breeders.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to breed your rats. It's more expensive than buying frozen. But you can assure you have quality rats to feed. And let's face it, rats are interesting to have around. I certainly enjoy mine.
    I never lied to anyone I bought a rat from. Not once. I can understand not mentioning that you keep reptiles if you go to buy a rat as a pet, and MAYBE as a breeder. But if the breeder doesn't want you to breed it, I'm honest, and I pass on that rat. It's just me.
    I think if you want to try it, you should do exactly what you're doing. Read up on it, and research the money and the care. If you like dumbos best, than use dumbos to breed with. They are really no better than other rats, but hey. Nothing wrong with being able to admire your breeders for their good looks.
    Good luck. There's a lot of good advice here for you.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast