Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

0 members and 2,875 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

measure temps of flexwatt or temps inside tub?

i just built a rack and i'm working on getting the temps right with flexwatt and a rheostat. i have a probe directly on the flexwatt which reads 98, and a thermometer inside the tub directly above the flexwatt which reads 84. which do i need to look at when i'm trying for my ~90 degree warm side?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: measure temps of flexwatt or temps inside tub?

you need to tape the probe of the thermometer on the floor inside of the tub. the reading will tell you the exact temp that your snake will be sitting on.

Thanks

You need to be concerned with the the temp of the floor of the tub were the flex-watt is located. This is were the hot spot is and were you need the control to avoid it for getting to hot. Have you considered a thermostat rather than a rheostat to run the rack. It is going to be very tough to control the hot spots in the other tubs with fluctuations in ambient room temps and the natural vertical thermal gradient that happens in racks (warm air rises). A thermostat goes so much further in helping maintain safe ideal conditions rather than a rheostat. I understand rheostat are cheaper and can be made of under 10 bucks, but I have issue with rheostats as I think they open the door to cooked snakes. Just my 2 cents

Chuck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    You need to be concerned with the the temp of the floor of the tub were the flex-watt is located. This is were the hot spot is and were you need the control to avoid it for getting to hot. Have you considered a thermostat rather than a rheostat to run the rack. It is going to be very tough to control the hot spots in the other tubs with fluctuations in ambient room temps and the natural vertical thermal gradient that happens in racks (warm air rises). A thermostat goes so much further in helping maintain safe ideal conditions rather than a rheostat. I understand rheostat are cheaper and can be made of under 10 bucks, but I have issue with rheostats as I think they open the door to cooked snakes. Just my 2 cents

Chuck
    i've been keeping a close eye on the temps and there is not much fluctuation with the rheostat. but yes, i will eventually get a thermostat... soon.

Thanks

Good deal so it seems like it is working for you, but as seasons change and room ambients go up and down it can affect the reading quite a bit that was why I dislike rheostats.I also hate to have to check and adjust check and adjust know what I mean. IMO a good thermostat is one of the best and wisest investments in husbandry.

Chuck